Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2014 02:00

Linux: Recover fails with message "Client 'localhost.localdomain' is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server."

Hi all,

EMC Networker newbie here. I do have lots of Unix/Linux experience though. I got this job because the person who did this job before me had a tragic accident and is in coma

So I can't ask my predecessor anything. It might take years until the guy wakes up again. Quite sad, really. And I have to figure out everything on my own. And yes, he was the only Unix/Linux guy here. The other guys here are nice and friendly from a human perspective ... but they're all Windows guys and when it comes to Unix/Linux they have zero knowledge and can't help me at all.

So ...

Before starting in this new job I had *zero* knowledge of EMC Networker. I had to figure out everything by myself, by reading manual pages, PDF's, forum discussions, and so on.

Right now I am supposed to restore files from one Linux server (which is being phased out) onto another Linux server. Some external consultant was a bit too fast and deleted a lot of files prematurely ... so I can't simply log in to the old server and "scp" the files over to their new home. Nope, I have to restore them from the EMC Networker backup now ... but exactly this part doesn't work

I figured how to launch the "recover" command line tool and how to access the saved files that belong to another server, e.g.

ssh root@newserver

recover -c oldserver.net.local -s bk001.net.local

recover> cd /data

recover> add file1

recover> add file2

recover> relocate /tmp

recover> list

/data/file1 @ Sat 27 Sep 2014 07:09:12 AM CEST

/data/file2 @ Sat 27 Sep 2014 07:09:12 AM CEST

2 file(s) marked for recovery

recover> noforce

will not overwrite any existing files.

recover> recover

Recovering 2 files within /data/ into /tmp

Volumes needed (all on-line):

DATADOMAIN.004 at rd=storage003.net.local:dd001_DEV04

Total estimated disk space needed for recover is 900 MB.

Requesting 2 file(s), this may take a while...

Recover start time: Thu 02 Oct 2014 10:23:21 AM CEST

53365:recover: NSR server `bk001.net.local': Client 'localhost.localdomain' is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server.

71740:recover: Waiting 30 seconds then retrying

53365:recover: NSR server `bk001.net.local': Client 'localhost.localdomain' is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server.

71740:recover: Waiting 30 seconds then retrying

^C

As the error message above suggests I have a configuration problem somewhere somehow. While my "recover" CLI client can access the saved set and communicate with the backup server "bk001" the actual restore fails because for some dumb reason the process tries to access "localhost.localdomain".

I checked the client configurations on the EMC Networker Server (which is running on Windows btw...) and in there everything appears to be correct.

Any other ideas what I should check or what's going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

DJ.

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2014 02:00

Doh. I found the solution, LOL

It's weird ... but I have to add "localhost.localdomain" as DNS alias to this particular client's configuration entry on the server. And now it works, I can retrieve the files I want.

I hope this may help someone else in the future (e.g. via Google?)

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2014 04:00

if you do nsradmin -p 390113 on client, then option hidden, then show, then print type: NSRLA - check what do you get under hostname.  If you get localhost.localdomain then that's it. I had couple of these on Linux/UNIX where admins would create baseline for new deployments, but it had in DB pointed to box on which was built (which, depending on your image and deployment might be localhost.localdomain if hostname and domain are not set first time daemon it runs).  When using nsrauth, which is default for NW8, then if this read-only field does not match NSR client name, you get this error. Because it is read-only field, I usually stop NW on client and delete whole /nsr/res/nsrladb.  When started it will have correct records.  This will cause on the other hand need to remove peer record on the server for the client in most of the cases.

No Events found!