Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2012 07:00

Migrate Avamar metadata on a NetWorker server

Hi.

I'm planning to hardware migrate a NetWorker server that uses Avamar for deduplication.

I know about the DR guide and how to migrate the NetWorker server. But I'm wondering about the Avamar metadata. There is nothing about how to migrate the Avamar metadata in the DR guide that I can find. The chapter "De-duplication and Avamar server disaster recovery ......page 64 " in the DR guide is about how to configure Networker to use the replication avamar node, but not how to migrate the metadata.

Can anyone here enlighten me what is the supported method to use to migrate Avamar metadata residing on local disk on a Networker server that needs to be migrated to another hardware. Moving the disk between the hardware is not a option.

Best regards,

Johannes

144 Posts

January 12th, 2012 01:00

I asked EMC support about this and they contacted Avamar engineering about is.

It turnes out that the only supported way to migrate the Avamar metadata in case you are migrating the NetWorker server to a new hardware is to do a copy/paste operation of the AFTD folder, or in case you have a SAN, to disconntect the san drive from the old server and attach it to the new NetWorker server.

144 Posts

January 10th, 2012 08:00

The avamar server is used as an integrated solution to provide deduplication of the NetWorker clients.

What is NW device and database migration? you mean mmrecov and nsrck?

Regards,

Johannes

14.3K Posts

January 10th, 2012 08:00

Are you backing up NW server to Avamar?  If so, to see how to migrate Avamar metadata you need to check Avamar docs (as in such case NW is just Avamar client).  If you are talking about Avamar metadata backup, then this is handled within NW device and database migration (from NW perspective).

14.3K Posts

January 10th, 2012 11:00

Correct.

144 Posts

January 11th, 2012 05:00

I'm talking about the metadata folder in NetWorker that needs to reside on a disk seperate from the NetWorker / legato folder. The metadata folder for the Avamar NetWorker clients is 10GB. But the bootstrap saveset is only about 500MB.

As far as I know the mmrecov command recovers the nsr/res folder from the bootstrap backup, nothing else.

So Hrvoje: are you sure that mmrecov will recover the Avamar metadata folder? I see nothing in the documentation that supports that theory.

Regards,

Johannes

No Events found!