Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2010 06:00

NDMP Backup n3600

Hi all...

I have a doubt about the NDMP backup configuration with EMC Networker and NetApp N3600. Customer has a old FAS250 NetApp filer, wich was doing backup through a Brocade SW to a FC Scalar100... Now customer bought a new N3600, but the problem is that this NETApp has two nodes that works independently, and one of them will take all the resources in case of a node crash. The cluster is an active/active configuration, and customer wants to do backup of that:

1º nseries3600a.finsa.loc (10.1.1.141) (/vol/cifs_apps, /vol/cifs_backup, /vol/main)
2º nseries3600b.finsa.loc (10.1.1.142) ( /vol/nfs_backup, /vol/utisa)

How can I do backup of this two nodes? Do I have to create two clients for this NetApp (I need another license then...)?  Do I have to create a shared NDMP Tape to both nodes? Can I do backup of all from one node?

Thanks in advance,

Dario

IPM

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

March 16th, 2010 06:00

Only to mention that the NDMP backup is working fine with nodea....

Regards,

Dario

IPM

101 Posts

March 16th, 2010 07:00

Hi,

Regarding licensing, there is a BUG in v7.6 and lower versions where ndmp filers with more 2 nodes and more can work with only one license, there is a trick in the client properties where you can define the same name for both nodes and NetWorker consume only one license, i think there is an RFE opened to solve this.

But what matters for you is that two licenses have to be used or at least that told me one backup administrador that recently tested license consuming with a NetApp filer with 2 nodes. Please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Regards.

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

March 16th, 2010 08:00

Thanks for your information. I've heard it's not a bug, it's a new way to license NDMP (it seems Networker NDMP will use one license for all the nodes in the same NAS.... but I'm not sure.... maybe I'm wrong...)

I'm proposing customer create a shared NDMP Tape to backup both nodes, one first and then the other... (with DDS license), or buy a new LTO Tape (more performance, less backup window)....

More ideas?... thanks in advance!

122 Posts

March 16th, 2010 09:00

the BR price guide say:

Beginning with NetWorker 7.4, NDMP Client Connection licenses are independent of the quantity of Data Movers or Nodes used by the NAS system. Only a single NDMP Client Connection license is required to enable/entitle a Network Attached Storage (NAS) system.

it is not a trick, it is correct.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 30th, 2010 16:00

You will need to create two NDMP clients in NetWorker, one for client nseries3600a.finsa.loc with save sets (/vol/cifs_apps, /vol/cifs_backup, /vol/main) and another for client nseries3600b.finsa.loc with save sets ( /vol/nfs_backup, /vol/utisa). These two clients can co-exist and be backed up at the same time in the same group or separately in different groups. You will only need one NDMP connection license to backup both of these NDMP clients. To make sure only one license is assigned for both clients, make sure to add the value "nseries3600ab" in the field "NDMP array name" in Apps & Modules of both of the NDMP clients.

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

April 5th, 2010 02:00

I've created two NDMP clients in NetWorker, one for client nseries3600a.finsa.loc with save sets (/vol/cifs_apps, /vol/cifs_backup, /vol/main) and another for client nseries3600b.finsa.loc with save sets ( /vol/nfs_backup, /vol/utisa) succesfully and are working fine (doing backup to same Tape (DDS) with different schedule), but Networker asked me for another NDMP License (I used a temporal license). I'm gonna check that "To make sure only one license is assigned for both clients, make sure to add the value "nseries3600ab" in the field "NDMP array name" in Apps & Modules of both of the NDMP clients."

Thank you very much for your help!

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

May 13th, 2010 10:00

To make sure only one license is assigned for both clients, make sure to add the value "nseries3600ab" in the field "NDMP array name" in Apps & Modules of both of the NDMP clients."

It worked.... we only need one license per NAS, not per node....

Thanks again.

Dario

IPM

No Events found!