Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2010 03:00

NDMP/VBB backups from Celerra - are Backup Levels valid?

Hi All,

Just a (hopefully) quick check while I'm doing some planning..

If you're backing up Celerra File-systems using NDMP with VBB enabled, are backup levels other than FULL valid?

I.E. can I do an Incremental backup in this setup, or are ALL backups going to be full?

The documentation doesn't say that you can't do it, but I'm thinking that (as these backups use Snapshots), you'd need something to coordinate which snapshot was the FULL backup to enable an Inc (or DIFF) backup to be taken against the initial Full....

Thoughts/comments/experiences welcome!!

Many thanks in advance.

From

Will

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 28th, 2010 02:00

Will

In answer to your questions:-

> If you're backing up Celerra File-systems using NDMP with VBB enabled, are backup levels other than FULL valid?

> I.E. can I do an Incremental backup in this setup, or are ALL backups going to be full?

Only differential or level backups (a full backup is a level 0) are valid for NDMP backups, so please don't try configuring them as incremental

backups. Incremental backups should never be used for NDMP backups.

There should be no problem setting up differential baclups (level 1, 2, 3, etc) with VBB.

> The documentation doesn't say that you can't do it, but I'm thinking that (as these backups use Snapshots), you'd

> need something to coordinate which snapshot was the FULL backup to enable an Inc (or DIFF) backup to be taken

> against the initial Full....

This really depends on what backup software you are intending to use.

NetWorker automatically manages backup cycles so that any dependency of a differential or level backup on a full backup is

maintained by the software allowing you to recover specific data at a point in time based on when the backups were created.

I'm not sure about all other backup software products, but this should be standard behaviour for any backup software.

Hopefully this is enough for you to continue your project planning, but please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Regards

Mark

No Events found!