Start a Conversation

Unsolved

MM

7 Posts

March 9th, 2021 09:00

NDMP restore failing but reports successful

I have not had any issues with Networker restoring files from an NDMP backup to a data domain in the past, but suddenly I'm seeing this:

Recovering files of client 'client0' from server 'networker_server'.
Recovering 1 file into its original location
Total estimated disk space needed for recover is 592 KB.
Requesting 1 file(s), this may take a while...
03/09/21 12:25:27.808469 NDMP Service Debug: The process id for NDMP service is 0x29366a28
42795:nsrndmp_recover: Performing recover from Non-NDMP type of device
03/09/21 12:25:28.074001 NDMP Service Debug: The process id for NDMP service is 0x29366a28
85183:nsrndmp_recover: DSA is listening for an NDMP data connection on: server_ip, port = 9483
42689:nsrndmp_recover: Performing DAR Recovery..
86724:nsrdsa_recover: DSA listening at: host 'networker_server', IP address 'server_ip', port '9483'.
42938:nsrdsa_recover: Performing Direct File Access Restore
42940:nsrdsa_recover: Reading Data...
42617:nsrndmp_recover: NDMP Service Log: server_archive: emctar vol 1, 1 files, 262144 bytes read, 0 bytes written
42927:nsrndmp_recover: Successfully done

It says the restore is successful, but the bytes written are zero and the file has obviously not restored. I can find no reason for the failure to actually write the file back to the client. This is Networker version 8.2.4, which is old but has worked without issue in the past.

2.4K Posts

March 9th, 2021 10:00

It seems as if the problem is not on the source/read but on the destination/write site. I would guess that your user does not have the appropriate rights (any longer).

Do you use a specific DD user account where it could be that his password expired in the meantime?

7 Posts

March 10th, 2021 05:00

None of the accounts being used has expired passwords and I made sure that the accounts had full access to the shares but the same error occurs.

As you have an unsupported Networker version, you do not have access to the Dell site, for example to look into the NDMP triage guide?

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/000014177/ndmp-triage-guide?lang=en

from cli you might try the -D option for further debug.

nsrndmp_recover -D5 -s [nw_server] -c [ndmp_client] -S [ssid] -v off -m [ndmp_client]::[/restore_target_path] [/backup_source_path] > ndmpRecoverOut.txt 2>&1

Also you could use the ndmpsup command to talk to the filer in question using the same credentials you use for backup to see what you can see, if anything?

ndmpsup -c [ndmp_client] -o ndmpsup_out.txt

NAS filer logs following an NDMP backup or restore failure to be collected vary by NAS filer type. The most common NAS filers are EMC Celerra/VNX, Isilon and NetApp. Collect the NAS logs from these filers as follows:

EMC Celerra/VNX:
Using PuTTY or other SSH client, connect to the VNX Control Station and run the 'server_log' command for the data mover in question (ex. server_2). Redirect the log output to a file and use FTP to get the output from the Control Station.

server_log server_2 -a -s > /nas/var/server_log.out

Isilon:
Using a Web browser connect to the Isilon OneFS Storage Administration interface and navigate to the cluster node logs as follows:

OneFs Storage Administrator main view -> Data Protection -> Backup -> Logs (to display logs)

NetApp:
Before collecting the NDMP log (ndmpd.debug) from the NetApp it must first be enabled for logging. For NetApp OnTap version 8.1 and later, connect to the NetApp node in question and enable NDMP logging as follows:

options ndmpd.debug.enable on
options ndmpd.debug.filter all

After ndmpd.debug has been enabled, perform the NDMP backup or recovery from NetWorker. If a failure occurs collect the ndmpd log from the NetApp from the following locations:

7-mode filers: /etc/log/mlog/ndmpd.log
C-mode filers: /mroot/etc/log/mlog/ndmpd.log

7 Posts

I am recovering through the Networker User gui. This is a backup of a CIFS share on a VNXe to a Data Domain. There are no special characters and I have tried other files with the same results. I can restore to other servers, just not the CIFS share.

recover initiated via CLI or via NMC?

possibly that when having debug increased, might show more information?

What is kind of appliance is it that you make NDMP backups of? Possibly that it also would log on appliance end if and what goes wrong?

Any specifics regarding the name of the file in question (special characters)? Does it work fine with other files and or directories?

March 10th, 2021 07:00

then try to see how far the stated checks from the ndmp triage guide get you to determine the issue?

what do you mean with restoring to other systems is working? The ndmp backup data or other type of backups?

with VNX in our case restore of files where working (we do not have it in backup anymore). But I believe we used dump and not tar.

with netapp NMDP restore had issues restoring individual files/directories but as it was no requirement, never dove into that to see what caused it. we can perform saveset recovery of the whole volume to a new volume, that was the only requirement and because that is working, never sorted out why file restore showed "permission denied".  So HISTORY=Y is still enabled (to be able to restore single files as files are kept in an index), while it is not actually required.

7 Posts

March 10th, 2021 09:00

Barry,

Thanks for the information. The ndmpsup command successfully connected and didn't show any issues. I ran a cli backup as suggested and I saw an error about root fs permissions, which I was investigating. In the meantime I noticed that the file I was trying to restore had actually appeared. Apparently it is reporting 0 bytes written because it's handling the process in the background? Refreshing the file explorer widow was not showing the restored file, I had to close it completely and browse back to the directory to see the restored file. It does appear to be working and I have a better understanding of the process. Thanks to everyone who responded!

No Events found!