Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2012 07:00

NMM and MS Exchange 2010 after the successful installation of NMM

Hi Sirs,

I am a little bit confused with proper use of NMM module, becaues by trying to prepare a high performed backup/recovery solution for MS Exchange 2010 in one very “complex” enterprise environment I've got to many open questions..

A
ccording AdminGuide for NMM it looks like that the powerful use of this software is only possible with suggested EMC hardware?!?

First thing what I would like to clear is use of Serveless Backup with proxy server on IBM Hardware?
(AG: Serverless backup is available only with EMC VSS Hardware Providers and is subject to the capabilities of the vendor’s hardware.),
How or where to check which hardware is capable for use of NMM?
Has anyone ever tried to use this function with non-emc hardwarW?

And how about “Rollback Recovery ??
(
Ensure that the snapshot to be rolled back resides on either of the following storage systems that is supported with the EMC VSS Provider: CLARiiON or Symmetrix)

We did some tests with Serverless Backup

on local C:\ drive, and they’ve completed successfully, but sometimes the temporary snapshot was deleted and sometimes not?!

-What is the approximately required storage size for the creation of one Snapshot? The current total size of our Exchange 2003 store groups is around 1 TB, means in order to run backup with proxy server and if the r etain snapshots set to 6, how big should be storage attached to this proxy server?

-How to organize OS (Windows 2008 R2 SP2) file conventional backup, not for disaster,  just in the case,  let’s say last windows update was not quite successful, and the restore of “yesterday’s OS version is required”. 

Currently we are having only test exchange DB installed and schedule backup of Exchange application is not required but scheduled backup of OS should be run daily. Requires this use of a snapshot group, and backup command “nsrsnap_vss_save” for this kind of backup?  Save Set should be set to “All” or to C:\ and System Components:\ ???

- How about disaster recovery, is BM recovery only way to run Disaster recovery?

“Perform Disaster recovery save set” in client’s save set definition tab is currently disabled, does this mean that in case of disaster, a disaster recovery of OS wouldn't be possible???

Thanks & Regards

----------------
Backup server  NetWorker 7.6 SP3 on IBM AIX7.1
Mail servers:  (still in test phase).  Win 2008 R2/SP2 (clustered / DAG )
Exchange 2010 SP2 / NMM 2.3

1.7K Posts

June 10th, 2012 00:00

Hi Vucko,

Couple of considerations for granular restore:

1.- Ensure that the user logged in on the Exchange server to do the restore has a MB created and it's mounted. The DB where that MB lives has to be active on the node you are starting the restore from.

2.- Grant the following permissions to that user:

get-ExchangeServer EXCHSRV | Add-AdPermission -user exadmin -AccessRights ExtendedRight -extendedrights  Receive-As, Send-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin

Note the extra command to grant MS Exchange Store admin rights.

3.- At least one Public Folder has to exist in the Exchange 2010 organization.

Also take a look at the following KB's that can offer you some further information:

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg126111

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg128987

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg123092

Thank you.

Carlos.

1.7K Posts

May 21st, 2012 04:00

Hi Vucko,

Please see my answers below:

According AdminGuide for NMM it looks like that the powerful use of this software is only possible with suggested EMC hardware?!?

You can check the compatibility Matrix in EMC NetWorker Software Compatibility Guide.

In NMM 2.3 looks like IBM arrays have been dropped from support, however you should be able to use this variable to avoid using Hardware Provider and use software provider (Microsoft VSS) instead:

NSR_VSS_FORCE_SYSTEM_PROVIDER=yes

First thing what I would like to clear is use of Serveless Backup with proxy server on IBM Hardware?

(AG: Serverless backup is available only with EMC VSS Hardware Providers and is subject to the capabilities of the vendor’s hardware.),

How or where to check which hardware is capable for use of NMM? Has anyone ever tried to use this function with non-emc hardwarW?

I have managed to have NMM 23.3 backups with no EMC Hardware/HW provider, so yes, it is possible. Question is, is it supported? You need EMC to answer that question.

And how about “Rollback Recovery ??

(Ensure that the snapshot to be rolled back resides on either of the following storage systems that is supported with the EMC VSS Provider: CLARiiON or Symmetrix)

Rollback recovery would be still possible, using VSS, you just need to configure Snapshot policies correctly, as well as the interval of the bakcup group.

We did some tests with Serverless Backup

on local C:\ drive, and they’ve completed successfully, but sometimes the temporary snapshot was deleted and sometimes not?!

I think this is also related to the snapshot policy configuration and interval.

-What is the approximately required storage size for the creation of one Snapshot? The current total size of our Exchange 2003 store groups is around 1 TB, means in order to run backup with proxy server and if the retain snapshots set to 6, how big should be storage attached to this proxy server?

As per documentation:

Note: The Microsoft System Provider is part of the operating system. The sizes and locations are managed in the Disk Management applet.

If not using HW provider but Microsoft VSS, this could be really an issue, because VSS is not aware of the disk space available, so you need to provision enough space to avoid running out of space in the array. I'm sorry but I don't remember exactly the space required for snapshots, but I'd say 50% of the original size.

-How to organize OS (Windows 2008 R2 SP2) file conventional backup, not for disaster,  just in the case,  let’s say last windows update was not quite successful, and the restore of “yesterday’s OS version is required”.

Check documentation, but you can have Disaster recovery by using DYSASTER_RECOVERY:\ saveset (mor info in NW admin guide), or just have an "All" saveset excluding DR saveset, or just backup VSS savesets and Drive you want to restore.

Currently we are having only test exchange DB installed and schedule backup of Exchange application is not required but scheduled backup of OS should be run daily. Requires this use of a snapshot group, and backup command “nsrsnap_vss_save” for this kind of backup?  Save Set should be set to “All” or to C:\ and System Components:\ ???

NMM will ALWAYS use nsrsnap_vss_save backup command and NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss Applicaiton information variable except for the following backups:

DISASTER_RECOVERY:\ saveset (save.exe, no need to specify any backup command)

Active Directory granular backup (nsradsave.exe)

And yes, always snapshot groups except for those 2 cases.

- How about disaster recovery, is BM recovery only way to run Disaster recovery?

You can perform disaster recovery with no BM option, check ocumentation.

“Perform Disaster recovery save set” in client’s save set definition tab is currently disabled, does this mean that in case of disaster, a disaster recovery of OS wouldn't be possible???

There is some workaround, but I prefer you to check it in the documentation, as it is aganst MS best practices, and I don't want to publish it here, in case is used incorrectly

Thank you.

Carlos.

47 Posts

May 23rd, 2012 02:00

Many thanks for your great and very understandable answers Carlos!

What do you think what would be than the best way (best settings ) for the backup of Exchange 2010 with NMM in our environment
(IBM hardware, LAN based backup, around 2 TB on Exchange data, DAG with two servers win2k8 servers each with  24 CPUs and 128 GB/RAM)?

With the possibility to have all kind of restore:
Item restore, Mailbox restore, restore of one or more exchange databases and of course “very quick” disaster recovery.

Thanks.

1.7K Posts

May 23rd, 2012 02:00

Hi Vucko,

As for any implementation there is always different approaches, in this case I would probably suggest:

1.- Use a "proxy host" to have serverless backups (this require same OS and SP level in Exchange and proxy hosts).

2.- Dependes also in your backup device, is not the same having for example Data Domain that PTL, and the bandwith of your LAN.

3.- I would definitely install Storage node software in the Exchange nodes to have dedicated data traffic from the Exchange to the backup devices, but regular storage nodes, Dedicated Storage node is not supported for Exchange 2010 DAG.

4.- I would use snapshot policy like taking 8 snapshots per day, roll over to tape (backup) the first one, and expiring the non-persistent snapshots in the same day, so you don't have a big usage on the storage.

But before getting into any configuration, I would suggest you to install and run NMM COnfig Checker, to ensure that the environment is compatible. If you don't have NW client and NMM installed you will get warnings and failures about the NetWorker/NMM services, but apart from that will tell you about the disks, snapshots (compatible or not) HW compatibility etc. It's not supported to mix HW and SW provider backups, but in this case I think the best way to go should be to force using Microsoft VSS, however this will put a limit in the storage snapshot capabilities although it should work fine.

I think it's important to have confirmation from EMC (I saw that NMM 2.2 SP1 did support IBM arrays, but I couldn't find it in NMM 2.3) about the HW compatibility, but in any case, if you have the chance to test then install NW client, then NMM 2.3 and follow the documentation to carry out the configuration using Proxy host and serverless backups.

If you run NMM config checker you can save the output as .html file and paste it in here, we can take a look.

Thank you.

Carlos

47 Posts

May 25th, 2012 02:00

Hi Carlos,

I've checked one more time with the Exchange admins, and it looks like that we are going, at least on the start period, to keep "serverless solution" (proxy server and one more NMM License are not a part of project plan, but this is still open..).

So according current exchange environment I am planning to use this kind of backup settings. Is this OK??

SG1 / savegroup used for exchange_db backup:
Snapshot group with Serverless Backup policy

Client Configuration in this group:
Save Set: APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange2010\
Schedule. “Daily Incr.- Sundays Full)

Backup command: nsrsnap_vss_save

Save Operation: VSS:DISASTER_RECOVERY=off

Application Information:

NSR_EXCH2010_DAG=dag.domain

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=VSS

NSR_EXCH2010_BACKUP=passive

NSR_ALT_PATH=C:\NMM

SG2 / savegroup used for OS backup
Snapshot group with Serverless Backup policy

Client Configuration in this group:
Save Set: All
Schedule. “Daily Incr.- Fridays Full)

Backup command: nsrsnap_vss_save

Save Operation: VSS:DISASTER_RECOVERY=off  ( what do you think about this???)

Application Information:

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=VSS

Thanks & Regards

1.7K Posts

May 27th, 2012 00:00

Hi Vucko,

My suggestion would be to backup all DB's (unless you don't want to) by setting saveset:

APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010

Backup command:

nsrsnap_vss_save

Application Information:

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss

NSR_ALT_PATH=C:\NMM

NSR_EXCH2010_BACKUP=all

NSR_EXCH2010_DAG=dag.domain

With this configuration there is a chance that backup fails because the Hardware provider not supported, so in that case you will need to add this Application Information variable:

NSR_VSS_FORCE_SYSTEM_PROVIDER=yes

Which will force NMM ot use VSS instead of IBM provider.

Then you can back up the 2 nodes for file system by using saveset all and application information NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss

Backup command nsrsnap_vss_save.

Bear in mind that this will NOT include DISASTER_RECOVERY:\ saveset, as that saveset is backed up as a separate client, using save.exe and not nsrsnap_vss_save, and a NON snapshot group, please refer to the documentation for further information.

Thank you.

Carlos.

47 Posts

May 30th, 2012 05:00

Hi Carlos,

Many thanks for your support!

1.7K Posts

May 30th, 2012 05:00

My pleasure,

Glad to hear it's working now, isn't it

Thank you.

Carlos.

47 Posts

May 30th, 2012 09:00

DAG backup is running very fine, I've added also DR backup so our exchange backup
with NMM is currently setup as following:

Group1 / Exchange DB backup / running daily incr. weekly full
Save Set : APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010

Group2 / Backup of OS data / daily full – keep one month
Save Set : All

Group3 / DR Backup / Full on Sundays only – keep one month
Save Set: DISASTER_RECOVERY:\

So Backup is fine now, bur the restore is sill not quite clear!

I have an issue that when I start NMM UI on client side and select DAG client saved databases are listed under
“Recover >> Exchange2010 Recover Session >> Database recover” 

But when I select Recover >> Exchange2010 Recover Session >>  RDB data Recover"
only ~DB01 is show and nothing else, and it is not possibility to browse/select any mailbox for recovery….

1.7K Posts

May 31st, 2012 04:00

Hi Vucko,

Have you tried changing the browse time, just for testing purposes? NMM GUI by default should show all DB's backed up, however please consider the following aspects:

1.- Open NMM GUI "Run as Admin", if UAC enabled.

2.- Select the DAG client with FQDN instead of short name.

3.- Ensure all permissions required are granted to the user you are logged in as.

Thank you.

Carlos.

1.7K Posts

June 6th, 2012 04:00

Hi Vucko,

Did you manage to get the restore working?

Thank you.

Carlos.

47 Posts

June 8th, 2012 07:00

Hi Carlos,

Unfortunately Mailbox restore is still not possible, I've done everything as suggested,

Started NMM GUI as administrator used DAG client with FQDN, and used separately created system account only for this purpose, account can send and receive emails (It was verified by exchange admin manually,) EMC Config. Checker confirm that too. But no mailboxes are shown in NMM GUI.

I am not sure whether the RDB is installed on the DAG nodes? Is this required?

Thanks & Regards

47 Posts

June 12th, 2012 07:00

Hi Carlos,

Many thanks for your support.!

Now recovery of mailbox item is working fine too. The problem was in RDB, so in order to run restore of mailbox items, first the related Exchange DB must be restored in RDB...

One more time thank you very much!

No Events found!