Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2010 15:00

NetWorker Support for VStorage API for Data Protection (VADP) (7.6 SP2)

Hello all,

You probably have seen the following note from VMware:

http://app.connect.vmware.com/e/es.aspx?s=524&e=12893740&elq=d883bd8be6f24c22a54b447c7e55c245&OPENID=Browser

VCB will be removed from the next release of vSphere platform. VCB 1.5 general support ends 7/25/2010; extended support ends 7/25/2013 as per VMware’s support policy.

How does this announcement impact you as NetWorker customers:

·in your VMware environment, this announcement does not affect you. NetWorker will be qualified with the next vSphere release when it is available. According to VMware, the next vSphere release is targeted for end of May 2010.

··Questions to you as NetWorker users:

• Are you planning to move to the next vSphere release soon?
  • Are you using proxy-based protection for you VMware environment today?
  • Anything else you would like to see in NetWorker for VMware environments....

Thanks!

49 Posts

March 30th, 2010 15:00

we are already implement vSpehere

yes

SnapImage style backups of VM's (Symantec have it). Apparently the API gives you the info to do it.

20 Posts

March 31st, 2010 09:00

Thank you, Siobhan.

With regards to SnapImage Style backups for VMware, I believe you are referring to the change block tracking capabilities the new VSphere APIs provide. By taking advantage of this, backup applications can send only changed blocks since last backup. We are currently looking at leverage this functionality.

49 Posts

March 31st, 2010 12:00

Excellent. I must admit, as I was asking the question, I was thinking why would this be better than de-dupe? Answer.... whilst it isn't as good as de-dupe with saving space, it is quicker as you don't have to do the scan... the application (ESX) does it for you. Add de-dupe to this, and it's very cool!

20 Posts

April 1st, 2010 09:00

Great point! Block-based backups with dedupe will be the way forward for VMware environments...

One more thing and you probably know this already - NetWorker (in 7.6) today can provide file-level recovery from an image based backup, you don't have to perform two different backups - one for DR and the second for operational recovery. This is through the VCB framework today and we are working on moving to the VSphere API.

49 Posts

April 5th, 2010 16:00

Yes I understand the ability to do an image backup and get file level recovery in 7.6. However a few points:

1) We aren't running 7.6 as we are risk adverse and after 7.3 you have some bridges to rebuild there (although I do agree the release quality is much better)

2) I'm afraid I'm not convinced on the functionality using VCB as you have to have extra storage to hold the image on the proxy, and wait whilst the image is copied to the proxy. IMNSHO this makes it about as useful as a chocolate tea pot. However, linked with vStorage API it is good functionality.

3) I don't want to invest in VCB hardware knowing that it is about to go away.

To be honest, considering that VMware is majority owned by EMC and that the Avamar development team knew what was going on, I'm surprised that you guys got caught on the hop like this. VMware is a market leading product, and you should be ready with features when they launch. Symantec managed it, and so did Avamar.

Not saying it is your fault, but communication needs to be improved.

144 Posts

May 18th, 2010 23:00

Is NetWorker 7.6.1 going to support both VCB and vSphere API?

And when is EMC going to release 7.6.1?

Johannes

40 Posts

May 21st, 2010 11:00

Will emc support vcb until the new solution is available?

20 Posts

vStorage API for Data Protection support is not in 7.6.1, but will be available in the following release by the end of this year.

40 Posts

Good deal, thank you..

20 Posts

Absolutely. EMC NetWorker will continue to support VCB until the integration with vStorage API is available.

August 9th, 2010 13:00

Are we able to obtain a release date for this functionality within NetWorker?

Will it be released this year?

20 Posts

August 10th, 2010 11:00

Still marching towards the end of the year as the target date. 

December 13th, 2010 08:00

Hi,

Is there any update as to when the version with vStorage API support will be released? I see from another post that it went into beta testing last month but couldn't find any later news.

Regards,

David

334 Posts

December 15th, 2010 10:00

Beta is closed (2/14/2011)

Hi David,

The NetWorker v7.6 SP2 primary release objective was to add support for the VMWARE vStorage API (VADP).  In October, we conferred with many of our top customers who have been waiting for this functionality and they provided overwhelming input to hold this release back to include ‘VADP Change-Block-Tracking’ (CBT) and Windows 2008 Disaster Recovery (BMR) support.  Therefore at our customers request, we expanded the 7.6 SP2 program to include these customer requirements.

The revised timeline for the NW 7.6 SP2 program is the following:

• Beta 1 – Starting 12/21
    • Windows Disaster Recovery (BMR) support for Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7
  • Beta 2  - Starting late January

• VMware VADP with CBT
    • Windows Disaster Recovery beta refresh
  • Estimate for release is Q1

If any customer wishes to gain access to this expanded beta for early testing and support for VADP, VADP with CBT, or Windows DR they can apply for the beta by completing these steps :

1. Sign-up for the NetWorker v7.6 SP2 Beta Program on EMC Feedback Central using this link:
    https://feedbackcentral.emc.com/callout/default.html?callid={6717A854-9B5E-4306-9EFC-89F9B26A704D}
    • Create an account at feedbackcentral.emc.com (if you don’t have one)
    • Agree to the electronic EMC Product Test Agreement
  2. Complete the attached NetWorker v7.6 SP2 Beta Qualifier and return it via email to Kris Macdonald

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Allan

1 Attachment

December 16th, 2010 08:00

Hi Allan,

Thanks very much for the update, that is really useful.

Regards,

David

No Events found!