Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2017 09:00

NetWorker server automatically deleting VLS9000 library volumes

Hello everyone.

I'm facing some sort of problem in my company. Since I've began to create some clone sessions in our NetWorker 8.2.1.1 to pass the save sets that were saved on disk (VLS9000) to tape (IBM TS3200), I've noticed that our NetWorker server is automatically deleting volumes from the VLS library that have no save sets (status: appendable, 0%). This happened for a couple of following days, pratically at the same hour. I've tried to recreate the library but had no success. Physically, all the disk of the VLS9000 unit are alright. We've no more ideas of what might be happening. Maybe it has relation with the clone sessions or it's just coincidence? Because at the moment the volumes are deleted, there are no clone sessions scheduled (I start them manually during the day). I've searched the log files of the server but had no clue of what might be going on, just the messages of the deleted volumes (I can send if you consider necessary).

Can anyone please help me? Thanks!

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

February 14th, 2017 15:00

It might be nice to see screenshot or log as I don't really get the part with volume delete... also, how do you clone?  Is it manual cloning via GUI or via CLI script?  If script, can you show commands you use?  If GUI, there should be a log too there which is specific to cloning when configured via GUI as separate action.

February 15th, 2017 08:00

Hey Hrvoje, thanks for the reply!

So, I clone the save sets through graphical interface. I do this during the day and remove any schedule to guarantee that no clone sessions will run during the night. The volumes from the VLS are deleted approximately 23:30 PM (Brazil timezone).

I think that the problem has no relation with the clones cause, like I said, they run during the day and the volumes are deleted by the end of the night. I took some prints if it help you. There are no messages before the logs that indicate why the server is deleting the volumes.log1.JPG.jpglog2.JPG.jpglog3.JPG.jpg

263 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 13:00

The output shows that the volumes are being deleted.  Since the VLS9000 is a VTL, then we treat these volumes like any other tape.  NetWorker treats PTL and VTL in practically the same way.

When it comes to any volume, the only time NetWorker automatically deletes the volume is during the relabeling process.

Looking at the darmon.raw output, if that is an extract without any info removed between the lines, then this suggest to me that there is some manual process that is deleting these volumes.  Possibly using "nsrmm -d" command.  Add that this runs every day at the same time suggests there is some crom job that is running a script to perform this deletion.

Please check your environment for such a scheduled job being run.

Since you know this happens at the same time daily, and to prove nsrmm is being used...  rename the nsrmm binary and see what happens.  See if the volumes are still being deleted.

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

No Events found!