Start a Conversation

Unsolved

7 Posts

July 13th, 2018 11:00

Networker 8.2 to 9.2 Upgrade

Dear team,

We would like to upgrade the EMC networker from 8.2 to 9.2 .. how can i proceed without data lose

We have the below configuration

1. EMC Networker 8.2

2. Data Domain 2500 series

3. More than 50 Clients

4. save Set Index 53760 Sessions 48TB total

5. Windows Server 2012 R2

Saveset Details.png

2.4K Posts

July 16th, 2018 06:00

To ensure a flawless upgrade, may I suggest that you

- virtzualize your backup server

- copy your databases here

- test/verify the upgrade process.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

July 16th, 2018 06:00

Hi SubashNetworker ,

The Upgrade of the NetWorker server from 8.2 to 9.2 is actually pretty simple and a chance of dataloss is very rare. Just make sure you take precautions like having a bootstrap backup of the NetWorker server before the upgrade or incase the NetWorker server is a VM take a snapshot of the VM before the upgrade process.

However you should be carefull in checking if all the components are compatible with the newer version of NetWorker, e.g. DD OS version, legacy client OS etc.

10 Posts

July 21st, 2018 05:00

I would refer two important items here.  1. Networker 9.* release notes 2. Networker compatibility guide

155 Posts

July 31st, 2018 08:00

Hi Subhash,

You will have to check Compatibility as already suggested by others and make sure no clients are getting dropped from support list on 9.2.x. Go through architectural changes which 9.x has in place and make your self comfortable with it.

How are you doing your VM Backups ? given the size it appears to be a small setup though but I will curious to know modules being used to suggest anything on that part.

Upgrade sounds easy but can make your life tough if migration of any Backup group fails!!!(Not trying to scare you), Make sure you check migration log after the upgrade is done to ensure zero failures.

I would suggest going uninstall old version and then install the new version of NW server instead of upgrade, If you have the facility it will be a great idea to test this upgrade before hand to make yourself more comfortable on it.

35 Posts

August 1st, 2018 14:00

Why do you think there would be a data loss in first place. Check Compatibility, and you should be fine. But yeah planning is the key here, as NetWorker 9 was a major architectural change. I have personally done 50 + upgrades , have never seen any data loss.

You can check compatibility here

http://compatibilityguide.emc.com:8080/CompGuideApp/

1 Message

May 6th, 2019 11:00

Hello, I am looking for the networker client upgrade process to 9.2 from previous versions. There are multiple client versions that includes 7.6, 8.0 and 8.2 etc. I am wondering if there is any one upgrade process for all these different versions. Networker server going to be running 18.2, so need to upgrade all clients to minimum 9.2. Please provide any useful links.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

May 6th, 2019 21:00

The installation procedure for the clients are all pretty straight forward, you can get all the information you need on the NetWorker Installation guide on the support site.

1 Message

August 1st, 2019 04:00

I would suggest you should go with the parallel build and go for migration instead of the inplace upgrade as their is significant changes from 8.2.x to 9.2.x

No Events found!