Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2013 04:00

Networker DSA Configuration issues

Hi friends,

I've just migrated all my data to a NetApp FAS 2050 filer. This filer offers four CIFS resources to a Windows 2008 64 bits server resources named "\\nasIP\resourceX$" (with X from 1 to 4). This server is a Networker client, so first idea was setting up savesets like "\\nasIP\resourceX$\folderY" for this Networker client. Performance was so poor, getting 60 GB copied in tape in 4 hours.

Second idea was launching these savesets from Networker Server (Windows 2003 R2 x86 with Quantum tapes device fiber connected) as both servers are in same LAN network, getting 30 minutes shorter backup time for those 60 GB, so 3 hours and a half at the end.

Then I knew about NDMP, but I can't afford NDMP license in my Networker Server. And only then I reached DSA features that I guess free with my Networker 7.6 software and I think it's the proper way as my Quantum library is not direct connected to NetApp filer.

Since then I've been only testing my software in order to get a complete backup but I'm not suceeding yet. I'd like to write down here my client configuration so you can detect my mistakes.

From Networker Administration in Networker Management Console I named my client with LAN IP address, so

Client Properties:

General tab:

Name: 111.222.333.444

Savesets: I've tested...

resourceX$/folderY

resourceX$

folderY

with same failed result with message: 42925:nsrndmp_save: Too many arguments. Only one filesystem can be specified for backup.

Apps & Modules tab:

Remote user: user in NetApp, same user I use in order to established resource CIFS connection from servers. This is also Windows administrator user in both tested servers I mentioned before.

Password: user's password.

Backup command: nsrndmp_save -T -M dump

Application information:

HIST=Y

UPDATE=Y

DIRECT=Y

EXTRACT_ACL=Y

Globals (1 of  2) tab:

Aliases:

dnsname.domain

Globals (2 of  2) tab:

Remote Access:

host=server1 (Windows Networker client)

host=server2 (Windows Networker Server)

Storage nodes: nsrserverhost

I'd also like to point that I have no way to get filer setup details. This filer is external managed so I don't know if NDMP is active in NetApp filer but I guess the error messages could mention this issue. I'd like to get all this clear before having to ask for the parameter state.

So please I'd be very grateful if you could tell me where that configuration is wrong. Any help is welcomed.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards.

Angel.

2.4K Posts

May 26th, 2013 10:00

The key issue seems to be the backup command itself. Instead of

nsrndmp_save -T -M dump

it should read

nsrndmp_save -M -T dump

This could already solve the problem.

Of course you must also not specifcy more than one entry in the save set list.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 26th, 2013 14:00

Further to what bingo has said, your backup set is wrong.  Go to filer and see what qtree you are backing up and use qtree path as save set.

I would not put my hand in fire that DSA NDMP backup does not require NDMP license.

3 Posts

June 4th, 2013 12:00

Thank you very much for your help. I changed the command and also the way I specified the saveset with /volX/folderY. I think these both worked although I got this new issue that I guess is something related to the remote user:

42597:nsrndmp_save: connect auth: connection has not been authorized

42610:nsrndmp_save: The NDMP connection is not successfully authorized on host

42884:nsrndmp_save: Not able to connect or authorize the client '111.222.333.444'

I have read that user 'root' is the only one that can be used to perform NDMP backups (I also guess DSA backups) and there is another issue to be resolved with root password that must be 8 characters maximum.

Could this be the solution (user 'root' as remote user and password less than 8 characters) as I'm using the user I was given to connect to CIFS resources? Is there any other valid user to perform these backups that could be setup?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Angel.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 5th, 2013 03:00

Hi Angel,

For an NDMP backup of a NetApp filer you will need a userid configured specifically for ndmp backups. From the filer the following commands will need to be run to generate a userid and password for the ndmp userid:

useradmin user add -g "Backup Operators"

ndmp password

for example:

useradmin user add ndmpuser -g "Backup Operators"

ndmp password ndmpuser

This will generate a random password for the ndmpuser which you would then specify in the Access field in the Networker client definition. This system generated password will be unique to each NetApp controller.

3 Posts

June 16th, 2013 07:00

Hi Paul,

thanks for your answer. I could ask for that NDMP user and password, and what I'm getting now is just the following messages:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- Unsuccessful Save Sets ---

* 111.222.333.444:/VOL/VOLX/FOLDERY 1 retry attempted

111.222.333.444:/VOL/VOLX/FOLDERY: No full backups of this save set were found in the media database; performing a full backup

* 111.222.333.444:/VOL/VOLX/FOLDERY 42794:nsrndmp_save: Performing backup to Non-NDMP type of device

* 111.222.333.444:/VOL/VOLX/FOLDERY 42652:nsrndmp_save: DSA save time could not be retrieved, exiting..

* 111.222.333.444:/VOL/VOLX/FOLDERY 39078:nsrdsa_save: RAP error: Unable to grant NDMP license to client 111.222.333.444: Too many NDMP clients. Maximum is 0

* 111.222.333.444:/VOL/VOLX/FOLDERY

* 111.222.333.444:/VOL/VOLX/FOLDERY

* 111.222.333.444:/VOL/VOLX/FOLDERY 5777:nsrdsa_save: Cannot open nsrdsa_save session with BACKUPSERVER

--- Successful Save Sets ---

* 111.222.333.444:Probe savefs 111.222.333.444: succeeded.

BACKUPSERVER:index:111.222.333.444: No full backups of this save set were found in the media database; performing a full backup

BACKUPSERVER: index:111.222.333.444 level=full, 1 KB 00:03:28 2 files

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does these messages mean? Do I need Networker NDMP license? What is Probe savefs that can be successfully backed up?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Angel.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 16th, 2013 14:00

Yes, you need NDMP license.

2 Intern

• 

326 Posts

June 24th, 2013 20:00

yes..u still need license...DSA just gives flexibility to backup to disk other than traditional SAN based tape only...licensing wise all the same....

hth

No Events found!