Start a Conversation

Unsolved

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2018 07:00

Networker NetApp SaveSet Syntax

Hi all - I know this should be simple information to find, but I'm just not finding it in all the places I look. I have a NetApp Filer and I want to back it up of course. I have everything setup in Networker to do so, except the SaveSet syntax.

In my EMC days this was something like /root_vdm_1/volume/ etc, but I need to know the syntax for NetApp. I've tried many different combinations to try to get it to work, but the backups tell me there is no such file/directory.

Does anyone out there use Networker to protect a NetApp filer, and if so, could you share your saveset box with me so I can mimmick the syntax?

Thanks all

173 Posts

November 26th, 2018 02:00

Hello,

“All” should work, try to setup NAS client with wizard, I think it can walk filer filesystem.

Regards

Lukas

2.4K Posts

November 26th, 2018 02:00

If you do not get that info from the NetApp admin, this is hard to tell as it could be any potential directory/mount point.

I think that there are default values but most likely they can be modifies as well.

Because there is no mechanism which will help the backup admin to find out (no backup client software can be installed on a filer, there is no way to run probe/savefs to report the pathnames) you must rely what the admin will tell you.

November 27th, 2018 08:00

Thanks Lucas - The All wildcard does not work, and the wizard won't let me crawl the FS. It is talking to the NetApp though, I can tell because if I put an incorrect login password, it errors. Oddly enough, I can specify /Users as the saveset, and it backs up about 20gb worth of data.

November 27th, 2018 08:00

Thanks Bingo - I am the NetApp admin and have access to all the tools needed to look at the NetApp, I just haven't been able to properly format it in the saveset field.

The beginning of each path 'should' be very similar, it would be the end folders that would be unique. When doing this on an EMC filer, each saveset entry starts out with \root_vdm_1\vol1\NASFolder1, \root_vdm_2\vol1\NASFolder2, etc

It's the \root_vdm_#\ part I need for the NetApp world.

2.4K Posts

November 28th, 2018 01:00

Then I don't understand your request because as a NetApp admin you are able to browse the filesystems and get the volume names from here.

I do not have access to a NetApp filer but AFAIR the filesystem names start with a string like /vol/vol0/ ...

No Events found!