Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2011 04:00

Networker (Win2003, 7.6) - access weight usage

Hello,

I have Networker (Win2003, 7.6) environment where initial jukebox with its pools was later complemented with additonal one, as demand for space grew, and pools are now spread over both of these.

However, one jukebox has tendency to run out of tapes. That may be in part due to couple of dedicated storage node devices configured within. But even the jobs that do not use these, seem to have preference for that jukebox. (?)

Recently I changed access weight to devices in greedy jukebox from "1" to "4", expecting to see lowered use of devices. Yet, if anything, now I see even more savesets ending up on that jukebox and problem with availability of tapes is even worse.

Did I maybe misinterpret documentation? Should increase in "access weight" increase or decrease preference for device then?

Thank you

z

January 4th, 2011 03:00

The higher the value of the access weight the less likely a device would be to be used which sounds like what you have expected to happen.  However, remember this is just one factor in determining where your backups end up going, and if your jukeboxes are busy throughout your backup window it is unlikely to have any impact as it is not going to limit the number of backups the device can accept as Networker will try to use all available capacity.  If you start a test backup outside your backup window do you see any preference for the devices with the lower access weight as would be expected?

I am assuming from what you have said that these jukeboxes are attached to the backup server which is also acting as the storage node for all devices, with the exception of some tape devices used by dedicated storage nodes.

No Events found!