Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 29th, 2012 02:00

Networker with DDBoost configuration question

Hello

I am not sure if I understand the DDBoost configuration in Networker correctly...

After doing an EMC lab session online this is how I think it's done:

On the DD:

You make sure the DD has the required licenses.

You enable DDBoost, create a DDBoost storage unit and a share under MTree.

In NetWorker:

Create a new DD device under "Data Domain Systems", selecting the above share as folder, with a designated pool and label&mount the device

Create a client selecting "none" (?) for dedup, set the above pool as target for the group.

And thats it ?

Why shouldn't I set "Data domain backup" as Dedup in client configuration ? Should this option only be set when DD is target and DDBoost is not used ?

Thanks

Eivind

1.7K Posts

February 29th, 2012 03:00

Hi Eivind,

For some modules you cannot tick that box, otherwise backup will fail. For instance for NMM you need to add some additional Application Information variables to specify DD backup and also DD Boost:

While configuring NMM client in NMC ,In the Application Information field, add the following parameters:

• NSR_DIRECT_ACCESS=Yes/No/Default

where:

- Yes is for DISK_ONLY, which means that the data travels directly to Data Domain appliance.

- No is for STORAGE_NODE, which means data travels to the Data Domain appliance through the NetWorker storage node.

- Default is for undefined, which means that NMM ignores this parameter and NetWorker decides about the media type based on client configuration.

• NSR_DEVICE_INTERFACE=DATA_DOMAIN

where, DATA_DOMAIN enables NetWorker for Data Domain based backups.

Check the following KB:

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg127603

Thank you.

Carlos.

736 Posts

February 29th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

Why do you think you shouldn't tick this 'Data Domain backup' box?  I'm not sure what ticking this box does exactly, but the NetWorker Procedure Generator procedure for this indicates that this should be ticked. 

You can access the Procedure Generator from Powerlink at Home>Support>Product and Diagnostic Tools> NetWorker Procedure Generator.

-Bobby

110 Posts

Hi Carlos,

Thanks

E;>

110 Posts

Hi

The reason is that the lab guide explicitly states that you should tick "none".

It may be a "typo" in the lab guide though

But, is the rest of my assumed procedure for config correct ?

Thanks

E;>

No Events found!