Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2015 06:00

On the fly Encryption in Networker

Does Networker support on the fly encryption for the data being backed up, I guess it only encrypts the data when it reaches the tape drive / any device with AES 256 bit encryption, please correct me if I am wrong.....

14.3K Posts

January 27th, 2015 07:00

I believe NSR does it on client, but normally if you really needed you would use HW module which encrypts data on target.

May 9th, 2017 23:00

You are not wrong ShubhamMishra, Networker save command is in charge of encrypting the backup data when a scheduled client backup job runs, which means, the encryption happens on client side.

Same happens when a recovering activity take place; encrypted backup data goes from Storage Node to client and then (and there) decrypted.

AES encryption directive works similar to others directives (exclusion, compression, etc); it change the way save command will do the backup and send the data to Storage Node.

May 10th, 2017 00:00

Thanks for reply, do we have a written evidence that we do encrypted restore....

263 Posts

May 10th, 2017 07:00

NetWorker supports AES encryption.  This is documented in the NetWorker Administration Guide, as well as in the following knowledgebase article:

How to encrypt data in NetWorker

https://support.emc.com/kb/322909

May 14th, 2017 23:00

ShubhamMishra, Wallace shared first the resources (guide and KB); is it clear enough there?

No Events found!