Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2015 01:00

Question about Scheduler for SQL Backups (Full, Level 1 and Incr)

I need a scheduler for SQL VDI Backups.

We need the following backups:

Sunday level Full and every 2 Hours Transaction Log Backups

Monday to Saturday first Backup of the with level 1 and every 2 Hours Transaction Log Backups

I tried to combine a costume Schedule (Every Day Level 1 and Sunday Level Full) with Intervall of 2 hours and option “Force incremental” on a Save Group. But NetWorker doesn’t allows me to do that.

The Message:

“Cannot set schedule when “interval” is less than 24 hours and “force incremental set Yes

Is there another way to reach that goal with just one Save Group? We have a huge amount of SQL clients and I cannot create a Save Group for each Backup?

14.3K Posts

October 14th, 2015 13:00

Create 2 groups:

- one for TLOG backup with frequency 2h

- one for DB backup with frequency 24h

Create 2 clients with same MSSQL VDI save set:

- to one assign schedule which is for DB backup

- to second one assign schedule which is for TLOG backup

I use this approach all the time.  I admit it was a bit of pain while I used group per DB (for TLOG I used multiple clients in same group), but after switching to instance level approach that changed and I'm fine with it now.

10 Posts

October 18th, 2015 02:00

Good Idea

There is just one thing. What happens if there is an overlapping of the two Groups?

The once a day backup (diff or full) is still running and the Transaction log backup starts.

I have some large databasese where full backups takes about 4 to 6 hours.

14.3K Posts

October 19th, 2015 04:00

That perfectly normal.  SQL uses sequences and knows how to handle this and which backup would be required for restore in case that you need one.  So overlapping is ok (I believe NMM 8.2SP2 brings even some enhancements in that area, but I didn't check yet that release).

No Events found!