2 Bronze

Recovering data from different server without client

Hi, I'm trying to recover data on a tape from another site using my NetWorker (7.4.1) server. I've got to the stage where got it to scan the tape and found the SSID of the save set I want to recover, and I have tried nsrndmp_recover but it complains about not being able to connect to the client specified (the client is not available here and NetWorker is not configured for it). This is what it says:

36223:nsrndmp_recover: Error : client resource not found for the criteria
42789:nsrndmp_recover: client = belfast saveset name = <blah>
42847:nsrndmp_recover: Not able to connect or authorize the recover host 'belfast'
42840:nsrndmp_recover: NDMP recover failed.
42880:nsrndmp_recover: Error during NDMP recover

What is the correct procedure for recovering a save set when the client does not exist?

I saw this: https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg113664

But it talks about a condition where the client exists with a different clientid - in my case the client does not exist at all. Should I create a "dummy" client as described?

What is the correct way of using nsrndmp_recover to restore the files just to a local directory on the NetWorker server?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
7 Thorium

Re: Recovering data from different server without client

Create dummy client with same name as on server.

I assume this is NDMP data which means scanner won't populate index.  In that case you must use ssid restore.  And since this is filer data, it means you can restore it only back to same type of filer.

2 Bronze

Thanks for the reply. I was using the SSID of the save set. By "same type of filer" does it have to be specifically the same model/hardware or any NetApp filer running a similar version of ONTAP?

Also, how would I get the clientid if the server that created the backup is no longer available?

EDIT: Found client id using mminfo -aVS on the media

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I tried making a dummy client pointing to a different filer, then tried again and nsrndmp_recover said:

42795:nsrndmp_recover:ssid'3247694783': Performing recover from Non-NDMP type of device

Then did nothing; it didn't even load the tape (I'm using a Quantum SuperLoader 3, 16 slot library). Any ideas what's going on?

0 Kudos
3 Silver

Have you added the dummy client with the same client ID?

I'm not sure it matters, but I'd do it that way.

/tony

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Yes, I used the client ID of the original client from the save set I'm trying to recover. nsrndmp_recover is getting further than before but it seems to be hanging somewhere now - I'm not sure if the problem is trying to load the tape or what. NetWorker doesn't seem to recognise the volume label of the tape - the volume name doesn't appear in nsrjb or in the Management Console, though it is present in Media -> Volumes in the console, and it will list save sets there.

0 Kudos

did you run scanner -m -vvv <device_name> to build Networker Media Database for this volume?

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

Hello Inky!

Please review the process for recovery of data outside the retention policy and see if this helps.  I beleive this will work for what you are attempting to do.

EMC KB article esg52699  located at  http://solutions.emc.com/EMCSolutionView.asp?id=esg52699&usertype=C   Please review the ENTIRE document BEFORE starting the process so you are fully aware of the steps being taken and the expected results.

Here is the information in the KB article mentioned:

Symptoms
Need to recover data which is already out of retention policy.
Cause
Retention policy for the save set has expired.

Resolution
1. Recover the data as well as update the index and media database.

Run the following command to load the volume:

nsrjb -lnv -S (slot#) -f (device_name)

Then run the following to rebuild the media database and client file indexes for the entire volume:

scanner -iv (device_name)

-c client_name can also be used to update the index only for a particular client.

This will make save sets browsable which can be recovered from GUI or the recover command as normal recovery.

2. Recover the data but update only the media database (saveset recover).

Then run:

scanner -mv (device_name)

3. If updating index and media database is not require and only have to restore a saveset of file directly from the tape use this command. For this the save set ID should be known to the user.

To recover the entire saveset:

scanner -s save_set_id device_name | uasm -rv

To recover a single file:

scanner -s save_set_id device_name | uasm -rv filename

Mark

7 Thorium

inky wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was using the SSID of the save set. By "same type of filer" does it have to be specifically the same model/hardware or any NetApp filer running a similar version of ONTAP?

Also, how would I get the clientid if the server that created the backup is no longer available?

EDIT: Found client id using mminfo -aVS on the media

I believe if it was NetApp it should be NetApp.  Similar ONTAP versions should be ok.

Looking down further, I see that message you get is that you are restoring data from nonNDMP drive.  Sounds as drive is not assigned to dummy filer (there is nothing dummy there actually, this is actual filer that will get data).  My understanding is that you saved data originally on filer with attached drives, right?  Now, to restore it, you need second filer with attached drives too.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Thanks Mark, I got it to recognise the media volume name after running that scanner command, however the uasm thing didn't work, I guess because it's an NDMP backup. The client is a NetApp Filer so I couldn't really use anything from your second reply.

@Hrvoje: I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "attached drives". This the filer I'm trying to restore to has a lot of disks and the same volume structure as the filer that the backup was made from.

My problem seems to still be that nsrndmp_recover does not understand the correct tape is mounted in the drive. In NetWorker Administration GUI if I go to Monitoring -> Log I get these two messages constantly when nsrndmp_recover is running and apparently doing nothing:

51302768466  event  media  Media notice: enable or check device(s); volume XFI918 needed

51302768514  event  media  Media notice: no matching devices on `server' for recover by client `dummy'

XFI918 is now being recognised by nsrjb, and NetWorker Administration (when I look at Devices -> Libraries) whereas before is was an "unknown" volume.

0 Kudos