This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2015 03:00

Steps to change from recoverable to browsable

Hi all

I have a saveset like this:

# mminfo -q 'ssid=674851258' -r 'ssid,ssretent,ssbrowse,ssflags'

ssid       retent   browse  ssflags

674851258 12/04/2015 12/03/2015 vrF

I have modified its browse time to put it in the future (today is 11/10/2015, mm/dd/yyyy) with

# nsrmm -S 674851258 -w 12/03/2015

I have also rebuilt the index with

# nsrck -t '11/5/2015' -L7 CLIENTNAME

That is the day after the saveset was created.

But the saveset still appears as recoverable, not browsable, in the Networker Console.

Could somebody explain me why? What have I done incorrectly?

Thanks

2.4K Posts

November 10th, 2015 05:00

Unfortunately, your input is incomplete. Especially the save set name and the method are missing. Is this a file backup at all?

Some save sets will already start their backup cycle with the state 'recoverable' - especially if a browsable state could mislead the customer to recover a single object (file) which will potentially lead to inconsistencies.

Just look at NetWorker's 'bootstrap'.

Such save sets will not even write the client file index info within the save stream (the backup media). What is the consequence? - you will not even to be able and rebuild the index with 'scanner' because you can only recover what has been saved.

November 16th, 2015 01:00

I have exactly the same problem...And I am not capable to browse throught saveset.

What can be done? Restore ALL saveset is possible?

2.4K Posts

November 16th, 2015 05:00

Sure - just run a save set recovery (most likely to another location) and get your files from here.

November 16th, 2015 07:00

Done, and it works.

But, is there any way of restoring "a unique path instead of entire SaveSet"??

I know there is an option "path", but not capable to use...

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

November 16th, 2015 14:00

When adding path to ssid restore, you get essentially same thing as when you cat the file and run grep against it (or in windows world you type the file and you run findstr against it).  It will read whole thing, but give you back just string you specified (with ssid restore that would be path and that would exact path which is case sensitive).

November 16th, 2015 23:00

I am not sure I am understanding...sorry

Do you mean that yes, it i possible to restore a single path of an entire saveset with "recover" command line, don't you? So, in that case, do you the command?

Thanks again!

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

November 17th, 2015 06:00

Yes it is possible, but it is not fast because recover will read whole ssid, but it will return only path requested.  Still, it needs to go through whole ssid so if I had 1TiB big ssid and I wanted to restore one file which is 1KB, I could do that by doing recover -s server -S ssid -d /some/place/to/restore /AnD/th1S/1s/cAse/Senset1v3/paTh/f00  and I would get that 1KB file, but recover would still read whole 1TiB.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

November 17th, 2015 06:00

However, in your case, I do not see why simply turn ssid back into browsable.  If it is recoverable, you can still get it back to be browsable.

2.4K Posts

November 17th, 2015 07:00

Do you mean that yes, it i possible to restore a single path of an entire saveset with "recover" command line, don't you? So, in that case, do you the command?

------------------

Yes there is a way to retrieve a file/directory from a certain save set, even if it is not browsable.

This is called 'automatic recover' ... most likely due to the fact that you must use the option -a.

So ...

- find out the ssid of the save set

- Then run the following command on the client:

recover -S -a

Add other options as appropriate

You are taking the role of the 'file index' so you must use the EXACT name (upper/lowercase matter on Unix/Linux) !!

BTW - this is the same method how NW recovers the resource files from the bootstrap.

And of course, NW will not set the save set to browsable as you recovered it (partially) but you did not add the info to the CFI.

November 17th, 2015 08:00

Perfect! It worked

Using without "-a" worked as well...weird

recover -s NETWORKERSERVER -S SSID -d DESTINATIONPATH -path EXACTORIGINALPATH

Thank you very much

I need this because even I have saveset, I am not capable in any way to put it "browsable".... as I said before, I have done same steps as Noel_Torres, but the saveset is recoverable, not browsable

No Events found!