Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2012 11:00

Storage nodes probe job fail UNC paths

Hello,

Here is the scenario, I have a Data Domain box that i have a CIFS share on. i have given my SQL Admins a place to put their backups during their nightly jobs. I would also like to take those backups and put them on Tapes. My storage node at this site has an HBA attached to it for the Tape Library, its configured and works properly for my networker Clones to tape. However, since i cannot tell networker to also nab the CIFS share, i have pursued simply making a save job using the UNC path of the Data domain CIFS share.

I am able to successfully create a second client of one of my servers, and change the save set to the UNC path of the DD640 CIFS. it will back up to tape with no issues. I have all of my remote access permissions configured and working on this client. However, as it is not connected directly to the HBA (and the tape library) its significantly slower than using the fiber, asit has to hop the network twice before it gets to the HBA. I want the CIFS backup to run FROM the storage node with the attached HBA.

I am able to configure a second client of one of my storage nodes and i make my settings identical to the functional systems. however when i go to run the job i get the following error.

Probe job had unrecoverable failure(s), this job is being abandoned.

This does not give me much to work with. I CAN configure this to work from the actual Networker server instead of the storage node, however the server is across a WAN and it is not practical to do this.

so to break it down, i can back up this CIFS directroy from the Networker server, and any other clients, but NOT any storage nodes. Any thoughts?

August 28th, 2012 05:00

Hello,

I wanted to give an update to this. After working with EMC support we determined that the issue was a User Account Control (UAC) problem. The Storage nodes were newly built and still had UAC active, where as the other systems in the network did not or were running windows 2003 (no uac).

Simply disableing UAC immediatly corrected this issue.

Thanks to Tim Robb at EMC for Directing me to this!

123 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 06:00

Hi,

The above error indicates that the probe is unsuccessfull. Are you able to access the UNC path from the Storage nodes?

Regards,

Arun

August 3rd, 2012 07:00

Yes the storage nodes have acccess to the UNC paths. i can access them with the saved credentials i used for remote access. I have even attempted to utilize the symbolic link functionality within windows 2008 (the os on the storage nodes).

I have saved them as mapped drives, with saved credentials.

No Events found!