Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2018 10:00

Tape & tape library management

Hi. We are new to NetWorker (9.1.1.4) and are using an IBM TS4500 tape library for cloning of monthly and yearly tape save sets.

We just got the tape library connected to physical SNs and have it working fine.

It looks like one of the admins labelled some tapes and put them in the Default pool.  They currently are unused.

My question is, will they be available to other pools even though they are in that Default pool?

If not, how do I reset them to be scratch tapes - unlabelled and unassigned to a pool?

Thanks.

Bruce ....

263 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 20:00

Last time I tried to do the following:

"If you want to change it, you must set the pool parameters"

• recycle to other pools
    • recycle from other pools

This is not applicable to the Default pool as well as other predefined pools.  These predefined pools does not allow modifications to these settings.

263 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 11:00

Revised suggestion:

If these tapes have not been used yet, i.e. they do not yet contain any savesets, then just relabel them to whatever pool you want them to be part of.

2.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 12:00

As Wallace stated, the fastest way is to relabel the media to the appropriate pool. In your case you will not lose any data.

By default, NW will re-use the media in the same pool. If you want to change it, you must set the pool parameters

- recycle to other pools

- recycle from other pools

appropriately.

This of course will only work after the volumes became recyclable.

Of course you can enforce this manually by changing the  the media status

-  either from the NW Admin GUI

-  or by using the command 'nsrmm -y -o recyclable "

NW does not need/does have a scratch pool by default. But of course you might create such and label your (expired) media to that pool. Then set the recycle options mentioned above.

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 13:00

Thanks for the advice.  I was hoping to make them unlabeled so that NetWorker could then just pick them and use them for any pool, rather than having them in an assigned pool.

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 13:00

Thanks.

Is there a way to "unlabel" them so that NetWorker can then use them for any pool, rather than have them assigned to a pool?

7 Posts

January 4th, 2018 08:00

Thanks.  I'll give that a try Wallace.  Appreciate the comments from both of you.

No Events found!