2 Iron

Unable to setup direct save with server networkerprod: no matching devices for save of client `networkerprod'; check storage nodes, devices or pools.

Jump to solution

Hi Experts,

I am using 8.2 Networker on Windows. I am experiencing issue with incremenatal backup.

Its a totally new setup. I have created a AFTD directory on same networker server.

I created one full backup schedule and its running fine. I have created 2 directories

One for full and one for incremental on aftd that are my devices.

Full pool was already there so i just mentioned target pool for full and created one incremental pool and mentioned

newly created adhoc on group and target as one of the AFTD device.

Full backup runs fine while running adhoc backup that is incremental i am getting below error.

98519:save: Unable to setup direct save with server networkerprod: no matching devices for save of client `networkerprod'; check storage nodes, devices or pools.

90095:save: Cannot open save session with 'networkerprod': no matching devices for save of client `networkerprod'; check storage nodes, devices or pools

11390:nsrd: no matching devices for save of client `networkerprod'; check storage nodes, devices or pools

94693:save: The backup of save set 'F:\msdia80.dll' failed.

--- Job Indications ---

networkerprod:F:\msdia80.dll: retried 1 times.

Please help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
4 Ruthenium

Re: Unable to setup direct save with server networkerprod: no matching devices for save of client `networkerprod'; check storage nodes, devices or pools.

Jump to solution

Finally some useful details ... however, the most important report is missing. Please run:

mminfo -q "family=disk" -r "volume,pool"

And I bet that you have labeled both volumes for the same FULL pool.

As I mentioned earlier - devices are not so important - it is the pool that matters.

Why? - because you simply may swap drives:

- not so logical for disks 😉 but yes, in fact you can

- very useful for tape drives (in a library NW will just take one that is available)

However, if you select a single device for a pool you restrict NW to exclusive use this device. The consequence is that there is now way out and NW must issue an error or request additional devices/media from the appropriate pool.

So my suggestion is once again:

- Define 2 different label templates

- one for each pool

- That improves identification later

BTW - if you label the media manually, you can override the template and assign whatever label you want ...

- Define 2 pools     where you only select by levels

FULL - for level 'full'

INCR - for levels 'incr' & '9'

- Label each disk media to one of these pools

Do NOT select 'device' right now. Just believe me - it will work without it!

Do not make it to complicated.

- You also move your clients from the group 'adhoc' to another group'.

In NW terminology an ad-hoc backup is a manual backup (save), not a group backup (savegrp).

Just adopt to the right terminology as early as possible - it will make your life easier.

- Run both groups and verify where the data will be sent to.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
3 Argentum

Re: Unable to setup direct save with server networkerprod: no matching devices for save of client `networkerprod'; check storage nodes, devices or pools.

Jump to solution

Hi Hargyan,

did you select the related group in the pool?

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

Let me guess that you have mis-pooled. Unfortunately I cannot be more precise as we do not know your pool settings.

In guess that the issue is with the client file index backup: if you run an incr data backup, the index itself will be backed up with level 9. Assuming you have specified the 'full' pool for the level 'full' and your 'incr' pool to accept 'incr' backups yo have no pool which will accept level 9 backups.

The easiest way would be to also allow level 9 backups for the 'incr' pool.

0 Kudos
2 Iron

Re: Re: Unable to setup direct save with server networkerprod: no matching devices for save of client `networkerprod'; check storage nodes, devices or pools.

Jump to solution

Pool.JPG.jpg

Hi Bingo,

I created one more pool  in which i mentioned lvl9 backup for index. I could see  levle 9 index is getting successful however, incremental backup is still failing. Now i have 3 pool i for full in which full and index group selected. 1 for incremenetal in which only incremental and last one for Lvl9.

problem is only with the incremental schedule. full is getting suceessful.

One file was there it was never backedup earlier so it took the first time full backup that went to incremental pool another whose backup needs to be taken incremental got failed.

98519:save: Unable to setup direct save with server networkerprod: no matching devices for save of client `networkerprod'; check storage nodes, devices or pools.

90095:save: Cannot open save session with 'networkerprod': no matching devices for save of client `networkerprod'; check storage nodes, devices or pools

11390:nsrd: no matching devices for save of client `networkerprod'; check storage nodes, devices or pools

94693:save: The backup of save set 'F:\msdia80.dll' failed.

--- Job Indications ---

networkerprod:F:\msdia80.dll: retried 1 times.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hargyan

On NMC please check below settings:

1. properties of the client being backed --> global 2 of 2 tab--> storage node field should contain the name of the storage node from the target backup pool

2. If only index is failing, make sure the group is selected in the target pool properties on NMC and the properties of the client resource for the networker server on NMC,

3. Make sure your storage node is in a ready state and the devices are properly mounted

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Iron

Re: Re: Unable to setup direct save with server networkerprod: no matching devices for save of client `networkerprod'; check storage nodes, devices or pools.

Jump to solution

Hi,

Its a new setup.

1:- nsrserverhost is already there.

2) :- No only incremental level backup is failing. Full backup is running fine.

3)Yes it is..

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hargyan

From the pool settings , please remove incr checkbox and also please perform the same on the pool FULL (remove the checkbox for FULL)

Set the backup level using the schedule at client / group level

Test the backup of this incr group to :

1. the full pool (daily_full)

2. to the incr pool (daily_incr)

Confirm if this is a pool issue

In the above tests please leave the selection for levels unchecked and just make sure the pool has the group name checked

Test the backup to confirm if issue is with the pool or the saveset or client

Is this a cluster or standalone client?

And are all incr backups for all clients affected ?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

Please familiarize with pools. Each represents a top-down filter. The sequence is as follows:

1. Group(s)

2. Client(s)

3. Save Set(s)

4. Level(s)

As you see, levels have the lowest priority. Consequently, if you have specified a group (which your screenshot does not show), it might be that your save stream is lead to a pool where later the level will not match.

Obviously, you only want to filter by levels. In this case, you must only set the level(s) for a pool. No groups.

Also, if possible, I recommend not to use devices. Just labeling the media to the appropriate pool is enough.

Remember: The pool Default has no device selected ... and you cannot even change it. But  backups will end here.

0 Kudos
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Its still getting failed.

Please find the zip file with all the details.

0 Kudos
2 Iron

Jump to solution

adhoc group.JPG.jpgDevices.JPG.jpgFilesystem_full_Success.JPG.jpgGroup.JPG.jpgLevel.JPG.jpgpool1.JPG.jpgpool2.JPG.jpg

0 Kudos