Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 27th, 2013 06:00

Upgrade 7.6.2 to 8.1

We plan to upgrade our Networker environment consisting of storage nodes & clients with Networker Modules to latest version.

Current backup Server - 7.6.2 with Solaris 10 SPARC

Console server - NMC 7.6.2 on Windows 2008

Storage Nodes - 35

Clients - 150

Modules used - NMSQL 5.2, NM for Exch 5.1, NMO 5.0

Jukeboxes - DD670 as VTL & Quantum i500 as physical library connected to backup server managed by Alphastor

With this in regards need details with regards to the following:-

- Work flow is to upgrade Clients than Storage nodes and then the backup server > As per upgrade guide after Storage nodes are upgraded within 48 hours backup server needs to be upgraded, is this a recommendation or is it mandatory?

- Can Console server be upgraded to 8.1 prior to any upgrade? whether it will be able to manage 7.6.2 servers and clients?

Also does anyone use Alphastor? or has got rid of it and using other solution.

All suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.

Rgds,

Samir

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

December 27th, 2013 07:00

Samir,

Download the NetWorker Procedure Generator to get all your questions answered and more.

--- Original Message ---

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

December 27th, 2013 11:00

Why do you use AS with i500??  i500 is fairly small library and I see no point of using AS with it (unless you have dozen of i500s which you virtualize via AS into one).  Anyway, you have quite big work ahead of you.  Check compatibility guide and what is compatible with what in respect to what you have and what versions you should move to. Module version alone doesn't say which version of application you have and that may determine which module to you use (update to) - for example, latest NMDA does not list Oracle 10 and similar.

31 Posts

December 27th, 2013 23:00

Had been reading all relevant guides for sometime now. Most of the environment needs upgrade of all components too.

With regards to compatibility I checked and seems all are compatible with Networker 8.1 (exception NMM need to be updated for Exch prior to any upgrades). Full backup of Networker server

In regards to the workflow as per my understanding from Installation guide and NPG is as follows:-

1.update NMM 2.3 to latest

2. update Console server to 8.1

3.update each storage node to 8.1, as 8.1 SN can be managed/supported by Networker server 7.6

4.update Networker server to 8.1

5.update Clients to 8.1

Our backup server is also a Storage node with two jukeboxes configured this is a scary part of the upgrade. Kindly review and provide your recommendations on the above approach and upgrade so jukebox configuration isnt lost.

Rgds,

Samir

31 Posts

December 28th, 2013 05:00

I think only incompatible OS is Windows 2003 in our environment running MS Exch 2007 with NM Exh 5.1 module. We've thus MS Exch 2013 as VMs on Windows 2012 OS which will become production soon, so will need to install NMM 3.0SP1?

Also we have capacity based licensing currently, how do I add those licenses back after upgrade of networker server?

Thanks,

Samir

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

December 29th, 2013 04:00

samir.shaik wrote:

I think only incompatible OS is Windows 2003 in our environment running MS Exch 2007 with NM Exh 5.1 module. We've thus MS Exch 2013 as VMs on Windows 2012 OS which will become production soon, so will need to install NMM 3.0SP1?

Also we have capacity based licensing currently, how do I add those licenses back after upgrade of networker server?

SP1 is not GA so you should focus on 3.0 for now.  That also means 8.1 client and not 8.1.1.x (at this point).

As for license, I really do not see big deal - leave it as it is as nothing really changes for you.  When doing upgrade, there is no reason to put any licenses back as none get removed.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

December 29th, 2013 04:00

samir.shaik wrote:

Our backup server is also a Storage node with two jukeboxes configured this is a scary part of the upgrade. Kindly review and provide your recommendations on the above approach and upgrade so jukebox configuration isnt lost.

I see nothing scary about that part - the only scary part is that you use AS for fairly simple environment and I see no reason to do that (at least according to description so far). I would suggest that you first update everything to latest NW7 code, then you update modules as they are compatible with NW8 (I would suggest to use NW8.0.x.y rather than NW8.1.x.y)., and then you update both storage nodes and server.

7 Posts

December 29th, 2013 07:00

List of applications is as follows:-

Oracle 11g on Solaris 10, 11 & Aix6.1 - standalone as well as RAC

MS SQL 2008 on Windows 2008 R2 - standalone and MS Cluster

MS Exch 2007 on Windows 2003 R2 - MS Cluster

MS Exch 2013 on Windows 2012 - MS Cluster

Oracle 11g on RHEL 5 - standalone

Other applications are taken as filesystem backup's.

7 Posts

December 29th, 2013 07:00

Thanks Hrvoje for your inputs appreciate it.

I've been talking to my management to get rid of AS. How about getting jukebox configuration? would I have to do mmrecover?

Rgds,

Samir

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

December 29th, 2013 09:00

shaiksamir wrote:

List of applications is as follows:-

Oracle 11g on Solaris 10, 11 & Aix6.1 - standalone as well as RAC

MS SQL 2008 on Windows 2008 R2 - standalone and MS Cluster

MS Exch 2007 on Windows 2003 R2 - MS Cluster

MS Exch 2013 on Windows 2012 - MS Cluster

Oracle 11g on RHEL 5 - standalone

Other applications are taken as filesystem backup's.

NMDA 1.5 or higher should be ok for Oracle clients (note that officially 1.5 does not support Oracle 10 so for those you may wish to use 1.2)

For SQL, I recommend to use 8.1 client + NMM 3.0 combo.

Exchange I do not backup with NSR so you will need to check official compatibility guide.

31 Posts

January 1st, 2014 21:00

How about jukebox configuration? Do i have to re-configure the jukeboxes after the upgrade of networker server?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2014 08:00

samir.shaik wrote:

How about jukebox configuration? Do i have to re-configure the jukeboxes after the upgrade of networker server?

Normally no, but at certain point NetWorker stopped using lus driver on Solaris, but I'm not sure which one now.  If you still use it, it won't be used in NW8. Normally paths should remain the same and I think only robotic path might use different naming convention, but ideally all should work just fine. Oh wait, you use AS - I'm still not clear as to why you use it in the first place, but no idea how that works with NW8 (my last experience with AS was with NW6 and nowadays this is pretty much freeware given away which rarely anyone uses due to death of libraries when it comes to daily operational backups).

No Events found!