Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2011 04:00

Use Avamar for VMware VADP backup in 7.6.2

Hi.

We are setting up a VMware VADP backup of vmware 4.1. We are running Networker 7.6.2 and also have Avamar 5.0.2. The NetWorker server is writing to the AFTD for the Avamar.

Can we backup VMware 4.1 with a proxy host and deduplicate the backups on the Avamar? Where will the deduplication process be done then? on the proxy host or the NetWorker server?

Will the NetWorker perhaps need to be the proxy host?

We have been browsing the documentation portfolio for 7.6.2 including the vmware integration guida and the Avamar integration guide, but we find nothing on this point.

Regards,

Johannes

177 Posts

May 25th, 2011 15:00

Hi Johannes!

You've written that the "NetWorker server is writing to the AFTD for the Avamar."  With the NetWorker/Avamar integration, AFTD is required to store deduplication metadata, but the deduped data is stored on an Avamar Data Store, AVE or other Avamar server/storage.

With VMware VADP backup of VMware 4.1, it would work the same.   You can backup VMware 4.1 with a proxy host via the NetWorker client and deduplicate the backups to Avamar.  Metadata should still be stored to an AFTD.  Deduplication would be done at the proxy using the integrated Avamar software (within the NetWorker client) - not on the NetWorker server.  I would recommend you not use the NetWorker server as your proxy host - let it be the manager, not the data mover.

Check out this guide on EMC Powerlink:  http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-011-694.pdf

I hope this helps.

-Eric

144 Posts

June 1st, 2011 08:00

Hi Eric.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks

Johannes

No Events found!