Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2011 00:00

Use of wild characters in saveset specifications of Legato

Hi,

I have to backup a folder let say D:\DATA. But the time window is too small to do the backup in 1 shot. I have to spread it over 2 or 3 days.

Therefore, I have created 5 groups each having a saveset list of a part of the subfolders in D:\DATA. But that list of subfolders is static. For example

D:\DATA\F10, D:\DATA\F11, D:\DATA\F12 are the savesets of 1 of these groups. If in the meantime there is a D:\DATA\F13 it is missed by my backup.

Is it possible to specify wildcharacters in the saveset field as D:\DATA\F*. In that way, D:\DATA\F13 would be picked up automatically.

Or is another way of doing this ?

Kind regards,

Johan 

12 Posts

June 16th, 2011 00:00

Johans

As per my experience assuming characker(i.eF*) will not take the backup untill unless u will not clearly mention in the saveset.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 16th, 2011 04:00

I can't find it now, but there used to be an article on this.  I beliueve asteriks works only with files, but not directories.  You can easily test it with probe probably.  There used to be also undocumented variable which would split sessions like D:\DATA to number of sessions matching number of subfolders below D:\DATA for example... but it was undocumented for reason (in development and thus buggy) and to my best knowledge it remains so today as well.

736 Posts

June 16th, 2011 05:00

Hi Johan,

Wildcards won't work for subdirectories:

From the NetWorker Command Reference Guide:

"Also,NetWorker supports ‘wildcard’ at the filesystem level. For example, For a UNIX NetWorker client, ‘/*’ refers to all mounted filesystems under ‘/’. And if
‘/space1’ and ‘/space2’ are valid filesystems, one could use ‘/space*’ to get both these filesystems backed up on the particular client. Please note that ‘wildcard’ matching at the subdirectory level, is not supported. So, ‘/space1/subdir*’ will not work."

What you could do is to backup your fixed savesets on the first four days and on the fifth day backup the rest.  You could use a customised backup script to first create a local directive file in the D:\Data directory and set your saveset as D:\Data.  In the script you echo the skip lines to the directive that correspond to what you want to skip. You then run the save of D:\Data and it should backup only what is not listed in the skip directive file.  You will need a line in the script to
delete the local directive file after so that it does not impact any other backup operations.

I haven't tested it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

-Bobby

No Events found!