Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2016 12:00

VSS Error

5388:save: Failure status of writer System Writer - FAILED_AT_FREEZE

5386:save: VSS failed to take the snapshot.

The writer's timeout expired between the Freeze and Thaw Events. (VSS error 0x800423f2)

80517:save: Snapshot attempt number 2 of 3 will occur in 10 minutes.

VSS OTHER: ERROR VSS failed to process snapshot: A function call was made when the object was in an incorrect state for that function

90108:save: Unable to save the SYSTEM STATE save sets:  cannot create the snapshot.

86024:save:  Error occurred while saving disaster recovery save sets.

I've try several things which I found on the web (removing the tree with the GUID and running vssadmin shadows /all...; re-register the DLL's; stopping and starting the VSS Service & SQL Writer Service and running vssadmin list writers, etc) but it seems that the backup will run just for that night and then keep failing.  How can I fix this problem, I'm running NetWorker Management Console 8.2.0.1 & 2008 R2 enterprise SP1.

14.3K Posts

September 29th, 2016 13:00

Which OS is that?  Do you get the same if you use parallelism=1 for client?  Also, your NMC version is not necessary version on your client.  Next, check also https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2996928

1.7K Posts

October 3rd, 2016 02:00

Hi kd11

First of all, for any VSS related backup, you should set the "Client Retires" to "0"

I gather we are talking about SQL VSS backups?

In any case please follow the KB provided by Hrvoje, and also please modify the client retries value as that is a requirement, we don't want to start a second snapshot when the previous one failed.

Thank you,

Carlos

8 Posts

October 4th, 2016 06:00

Sorry for the late response (been under the weather).  The OS is 2008 R2 SP1 and No I'm not talking about SQL VSS backups, I'm referring to EMC NetWorker V8.2.0.1.

1.7K Posts

October 4th, 2016 08:00

Hi kd11

What kind of backup are you referring to, is it File System backup or is it backup of SQL?

Are you using NetWorker client or any additional module?

Please provide us with some more information so that we will be able to help you.

Thank you,

Carlos

8 Posts

October 4th, 2016 10:00

That is correct I'm using NetWorker and doing a File System backup.

2.4K Posts

October 5th, 2016 02:00

I have never seen such error, so I try to respond more generally.

With respect to NetWorker I found that with the latest releases, VSS errors have become rare. So if possible, I would update.

I do not know exactly how VSS works internally, but I guess, a timeout would indicate that something did not finish in time. This might occur if the "system relevant disks" are so huge (have so many files) that VSS simply cannot complete before the timeout hits. In general, I let me suggest 2 possible solutions:

- If you can, separate application data from a "system relevant disk (VSS disk)"

- It is also possible to increase the VSS timeout value. Please search the internet for appropriate links.

146 Posts

April 28th, 2017 12:00

kd11, did you ever locate a solution? Im having the same issue. Im running a fairly recent version (8.2.3.8), and this is a just filesystem backup of a windows server. But, whats odd in my case is that its ONLY the Z drive, and it ALWAYS fails, without exception. There are 9 other drives on the server that back up cleanly. I see nothing unique about that Z drive, but its the only one that fails.

5388:save: Failure status of writer DFS Replication service writer - FAILED_AT_FREEZE

5386:save: VSS failed to take the snapshot.

The writer's timeout expired between the Freeze and Thaw events. (VSS error 0x800423f2)

80517:save: Snapshot attempt number 2 of 3 will occur in 10 minutes.

VSS OTHER: ERROR: VSS failed to process snapshot: A function call was made when the object was in an incorrect state

for that function (VSS error 0x80042301)

90108:save: Unable to save the SYSTEM STATE save sets: cannot create the snapshot.

94693:save: The backup of save set 'Z:\' failed.

No Events found!