zridet
2 Bronze

VSS Issues

Jump to solution

Hi everybody,

I am facing an issue with VSS during the backup; I have a win 2008 entreprise x64 running NetWorker 7.5.1. Here's the error :

ERROR: Failed to initialize backup, error=0x80042301: VSS Backup or Restore is not in the correct state for the operation, or the writer is not in the correct state. 7154:save: Unable to set up VSS filesystem directives. Failed to back up G:\. : Failed with error(s)

savegrp: suppressed 22 lines of output. 53085 1340784234 1 0 0 2472 1964 0 sfatsbkp nsrsqlsv 27 Backing up of %s succeeded. 1 0 5 model 53085 1340784251 1 0 0 2472 1964 0 sfatsbkp nsrsqlsv 27 Backing up of %s succeeded. 1 0 4 msdb 29067 1340784252 1 0 0 2472 1964 0 sfatsbkp nsrsqlsv 113 Skip building named instance directory because there are no named instances installed or running on this machine. 0 43709 1340784252 1 0 0 2472 1964 0 sfatsbkp nsrsqlsv 13 Stop time: %s 1 35 25 Wed Jun 27 04:04:12 2012

After a couple of look ups I've found this hotfix from microsoft; however, it's for Win 2003..

Could you anyone please help me out?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rajesh Sekar
2 Bronze

Re: VSS Issues

Jump to solution

Please try the below methods:

Method 1:

Restart the follwoing windows services with out a reboot of the server.

COM+Event system

Microsoft software shadow copy provider

volume shadow copy

Note restarting "COM+Event system " service will restart System Event notification service and Background intelligent Transfer service due to the dependencies.

After restarting these  services VSS will return to stable state.

Method 2:

faster but more disruptive in production enviornment.

Reboot the server.This will clean  the incorrect status of the VSS  writers and backup will now succeed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Panwar
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Hi

Please run vssadmin list writers and check Writers status on the client machine. Make sure that all the writers should be in stable state and no errors.

Thanks

Panwar

0 Kudos
zridet
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I did, and all the writers are in stable state with no errors.

0 Kudos
Rajesh Sekar
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Please try the below methods:

Method 1:

Restart the follwoing windows services with out a reboot of the server.

COM+Event system

Microsoft software shadow copy provider

volume shadow copy

Note restarting "COM+Event system " service will restart System Event notification service and Background intelligent Transfer service due to the dependencies.

After restarting these  services VSS will return to stable state.

Method 2:

faster but more disruptive in production enviornment.

Reboot the server.This will clean  the incorrect status of the VSS  writers and backup will now succeed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
zridet
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi sekaraj,

Your first method worked out, it was easy and fast the backup was completed successfully.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Showkat Bhat
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Do we need to restart the services on client-server from where we are taking the backup or the networker server.

0 Kudos
bingo.1
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

VSS is a Windows specific method which runs locally. Consequently you must 'repair' the system wherever you have the trouble - the NW client.

0 Kudos
crazyrov
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

@Showkat Bhat 

All the steps related to VSS are to be run on the problematic client machine. Also, no 2 issues might be the same even though the error on the backups are the same. Make sure you look at the event viewer and consult with your windows administrator before taking any steps.

HTH,
For NetWorker related content - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4JLsVyXMyjbQ4i1NaJj5IQ

0 Kudos
CarlosRojas
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Hi Zridet,

I see 2 different backups running at the same time:

File System and also SQL:

Failed to back up G:\

sfatsbkp nsrsqlsv 113 Skip building named instance directory because there are no named instances installed or running on this machine

Can you please tell us what are you backing up?

Are you mixing File system and SQL backups for the same client in the same group?

Have you checked that all writers are present by running vssadmin list writers? Specially ensure that System Writer is in place.

What is the configuration of the client and what is the saveset you have configured?

Have you checked Application and System event logs on the client to see if there is any event ID 25 volsnap? If so then google it, as there are Microsoft fixes for that (you forgot to attach the fix you found, by the way)

Thank you.

Carlos.

0 Kudos
zridet
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answers,

Unfortunately, I cannot reboot the server because it might affect the business since it's a physical server I would need an approval from the other teams and that could take a little while..

Actually I am backing up both file system as well as SQL, yes I have checked all the writers and they are all running with no errors; however, this is what I've found on the System event log as a warning ( the recent one):

The backup operation for the cluster configuration data has been canceled. The cluster Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) writer received an abort request.

Sorry for the Microsoft fixe here's the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976461

Thank you,

0 Kudos