Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2011 02:00

Windows Firewall Configuration whith Networker silent installation possible?

I install the networker client software by using a Software Distribution Environment. We start the Networker setup.exe / NetWorker.msi with appropriate parameters. Does anyone know if there is a cmdline parameter for automatically configure the Windows Firewall Rules in the same way as when i start the networker installation with GUI.

Thanks for any Hints.

Regards

Frank

15 Posts

April 14th, 2011 09:00

Mark,

i'm looking for a solution to configure the "Windows Firewall" and automatically create Firewall Rules for Inbound and Outbound connectivity. That is possible clicking the setup.exe Program. The installation routine asks me if i want to configure the Firewall. I want to do that when installing Networker Software in silent mode -> setup.exe /S /v /qn INSTALLLEVEL=200 ..........

Don't know if a parameter is available for setup.exe to do that.

I know the nsrports command, but that doesn't help here.

Regards
Frank

240 Posts

Frank,

There is a command in Networker that is used to configure ports (nsrports) that may be useful for what you are doing.  This command is located in the command reference guide for the version of NetWorker you are using.  Here is a copy of the information from the NetWorker 7.5 Command Line manual:

NetWorker command: NSRPORTS(1m)

NAME

nsrports - port configuration tool

SYNOPSIS

nsrports [ -s server ] [ -S | -C ] [ range ... ]

DESCRIPTION

The nsrports command is used to display and set ranges of ports used by the NetWorker

software. A range of ports may be either a single integer or two integers separated by

a dash (-). Any integer used to define a range of ports must be from 0 to 65535. The

range 0-0 is treated equivalent to 0-65535. The port ranges are stored by nsrexecd(1m)

in the NSR system port ranges resource. When nsrports is executed without any options,

the program displays the configured ranges for the system on which the command is being

run.

Users executing nsrports can change the system ports to be used. There are also two

additional options for viewing and setting the port ranges. The first is by using the

NetWorker Management Console. The second is by using nsradmin(1m). Execute the program

as follows:

# nsradmin -s server -p nsrexec

where server is the system for which ports are to be displayed. The administrator

attribute for this resource can be modified with either the NetWorker Management Console

or nsradmin(1m) by any user currently on the administrator list.

OPTIONS

-s server Specifies the system to contact.

-S Sets the system’s service ports to the ranges specified. By default NetWorker defines a range of 7937-9936 for service ports.

-C Sets the system’s connection ports to the ranges specified. By default NetWorker defines a range of 0-0 for connection ports.

EXAMPLES

Setting two service port ranges 7937-9936 and 9999 nsrports -S 7937-9936 9999

The NetWorker manuals are avaialble through Powerlink at Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ J-O ~ Documentation > NetWorker Family > NetWorker.  Select the version from the left column.

Let me know if this gives you what need to complete the task.

Mark

240 Posts

An additional note here:

Be sure to verify what your settings are BEFORE making any changes.  If at all possible, test this in a test environment rather than production.

240 Posts

Frank,

I see what you are looking to do.

Let me look into this and I will get back to you on this as soon as I can.

Mark

240 Posts

April 14th, 2011 10:00

Frank,

I am not if you can do this, but one thing that came up in brainstorming was the possibility of using a batch file with your deployment tool.  Some deployment tools allow this option and some do not.

Once we get this informtion, we will be better able to help you.

Thanks!!

Mark

15 Posts

April 15th, 2011 01:00

Mark,

i found a hint in esg117917:

setup /s /v"/qn /l*v setup.log INSTALLLEVEL=100 NW_FIREWALL_CONFIG=0 SETUPTYPE=Install"

Looks like there is an Option "NW_FIREWALL_CONFIG" available for Networker setup.exe.

Regards

Frank

240 Posts

April 15th, 2011 06:00

Frank,

Excellent! I will make a note of this for future reference.

I am glad you found this article!

Mark Bellows

14.3K Posts

April 17th, 2011 02:00

Frank Nitsch wrote:

Mark,

i found a hint in esg117917:

setup /s /v"/qn /l*v setup.log INSTALLLEVEL=100 NW_FIREWALL_CONFIG=0 SETUPTYPE=Install"

Looks like there is an Option "NW_FIREWALL_CONFIG" available for Networker setup.exe.

Regards

Frank

Note that with win2k8R2 you will need addition switch too... (at least that is my experience with msiexec silent installations).

15 Posts

April 18th, 2011 02:00

Which additional switch do you think about for W2K8R2?

14.3K Posts

April 18th, 2011 13:00

NW_FWOK needs to be set and order of variable matters (strange, but truth).

No Events found!