Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2010 11:00

disk is full in advanced file type device

Hi All,

I want to know what will happen of the disk is full in advanced file type device,

will the backups get aborted or will the backups be waiting till the space get cleared manually,or

will the networker clean up the expired sessions and start the backup if enough space is recoverd??

Thanks

Pratap

334 Posts

October 28th, 2010 12:00

Hi Pratap,

When AFTD fills up, backups pause until there is sufficient room.

Room is created by either deleting savesets, by staging them, or by normal nsrim job that runs once-per-day and deletes expired backups.  Here are a couple of paragraphs from the admin guide:

(p236)

When an AFTD runs out of disk space, the current backup is suspended. This message appears:

Waiting for more available space on filesystem device-name

Immediately after this message appears, the action that is associated with the

Filesystem Full — Recover adv_file Space notification takes place. By default, the

action for this notification uses the nsrim command to delete expired save sets. If

enough space has been cleared, the backup continues. If the recycle setting for the volume is manual,however, then the expired save sets are not removed from the volume.

and

(p234)

To prevent the file system from becoming full when backing up data to file type and AFTDs, a staging policy must be created to move the data off the disk as soon as possible. To make space for additional backups, perform one of these activities:

Set up a staging policy.

Review and, if required, modify the retention policy of the save sets.

Save set staging is helpful when used with either of these device types.

“Save set

staging” on page 228

provides more information.

Thanks,

Allan

41 Posts

October 28th, 2010 16:00

Hi Allan,

This is really a very very helpful reply can i please know to which admin guide you are referring to and if possible please share it with me.

Thanks/Regards

Pratap

334 Posts

October 28th, 2010 18:00

It is from the 7.6 Admin Guide.  Here's the direct link: http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-009-443.pdf

It is located behind Powerlink, hopefully you have access.  If not, let me know and I'll private message it to you.

Allan

334 Posts

October 28th, 2010 18:00

.. you might find them here too.. (thanks Preston!)

http://nsrd.info/blog/networker-documentation/

41 Posts

October 29th, 2010 07:00

Hi Allan/Preston ,

Thanks for the very useful links i have access to both the links and have downloaded successfully..

No Events found!