Start a Conversation

Unsolved

WH

11 Posts

May 25th, 2021 07:00

networker Backup fails with no error message displayed on NMC

A daily scheduled backup fails on the workflow but data is successfully backed up on tapes.

default_backup.PNG

i've got this message in  F:\Legato\nsr\logs\policy\Backup\Default\backup_1921549_logs\1921583.log : 

Unable to save the file information in the media management database for save set ID '111958750': Direct file setup failed, no direct file..
i applied the mminfo on this SSID to be sure of its status : 

mminfo -avot -q ssid=111958750 -r  volume, sumflags

=> The saveset is browsable.

Do you have an idea how to get rid of this behaviour ??

2.4K Posts

May 26th, 2021 02:00

Sorry -  same procedure as always

With this fraction of information you will most likely find nobody who can really help. Open the details and you already might find the solution. This message should also be expanded: " Direct file setup failed, no direct file.." to see more details. This error message is nothing more than just a simple 'it does not work' statement.'

- Version of the NW server?

- Where do you want to backup to: disk or tape?

- To a device connected at the NW server or on a remote storage node

- What are the client parameters?

- And most important: has this ever worked before?

May 26th, 2021 04:00

Well sorry , this wasn't uploaded before :

image.png

For NW version : 19.1.1.1

backup to tape  and the hpe library  is connected directly to the NW server.

For client parameters : it happening for all linux and windows clients with same config on networker.

For sure , it already worked and no changes were made. 

And then the issue starts to appear , i already restarted the server and it was solved 1 time but after that , issue appears again.

2.4K Posts

May 26th, 2021 06:00

Sorry, but what you say must be incorrect as Windows OS save sets will not be created when you backup Linux clients.

What you see is just the tip of the error/log system. According to the message you have more than 100k to check. So kindly browse down through the logs an open the Show Action List etc.

My personal guess - you are using another pool now.

May 26th, 2021 07:00

Hello,

Actually, what I wanted to point at is that client config has never changed, pool also , no changes were made at any level on the networker server side. as shown in the picture the whole workflow fails but individual client are shown as backed up successfully. individual log files  related to  each client (under F:\Legato\nsr\logs\policy\ \ )  shows that all save sets are successfully backed up :

181524:save: Unable to save the file information in the media management database for save set ID '1722663604': Direct file setup failed, no direct file..
174922:save: Step (4 of 6) for PID-40319: Successfully connected to the target media device through the nsrmmd process on the host 'hvpue01b.internal.draexlmaier.com' for the save set '/srv/oradatabase/u40'.
174422:save: Step (5 of 6) for PID-40319: Reading the save sets and writing to the target device.
66135:save: NSR directive file (/.nsr) parsed
174416:save: Step (6 of 6) for PID-40319: Backup has succeeded. Save is exiting. See the savegrp log to track the closure steps of the backup.
dbpue02a: /srv/oradatabase/u40 level=incr, 0 KB 00:00:24 0 files
completed savetime=1622000286
94694:save: The backup of save set '/srv/oradatabase/u40' succeeded.

However, all these files contain the already mentioned error statement which is obvious "as you mentioned " it does not work' statement.' so my guess is that networker is translating this statement as an error and marking the workflow as failed while in fact it is not, is my guess right? 

I am not able to map a solution to that error since log is not giving much detail.

any way thanks

58 Posts

May 26th, 2021 08:00

If restarting the server fixed it once and then started reoccurring be aware this may be a bug in the version being used. Take a look at the documents on the support portal, release notes contain bug tracking issues. You may find this issue listed.

Or create a support incident with Dell.

2.4K Posts

May 27th, 2021 13:00

I believe you that you have not changed the client setup. Unfortunately, pools can also be set/changed by the Actions/Workflow parameters.

If you do not find the explanation here, go to the command line and execute the savegrp command at its best like

savegrp -v -l level -g group -b pool > textfile 2>%1

BTW - If you browse through the logs you will see that NW will also use this command.. -v will add some verbosity to the output.

No Events found!