Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2015 10:00

target session for NetWorker DD integration

In the past with NW 7.6 and DD integration, I saw a lot of implementation with 1 max session / device.  The admin told me they saw huge difference in dedupe ratio.  So, for my DD 7.6.x, 8.1.1 and DD boost integration in the last few yrs, I use 1 target session and 4 max sessions / device in 7.6.x and 1 target session and 6 max sessions / nsrmmd (excluding the nsrmmd for read).  The NW 8 integration doc suggests a max of 60 session.  I only use 30 sessions / device and keep the session / nsrmmd at 6. 

Recently, I did review the NMDA 1.6 doc and found the following (I config 1 max session to 1 nsrmmd anyway for database pool). 

Parallel backups to AFTD or Data Domain devices are not multiplexed. However, the use of multiple concurrent streams to the same device can impact the overall throughput and deduplication ratio. Minimize the number of sessions to any device that includes deduplication by setting the target session attribute value of the device to 1.

The document has not mentioned max session.  Should we keep the device for database backup at 1 max session / nsrmmd?  For normal file dedup, will it make affect the dedupe ratio a lot if I set it from 6 max sessions / nsrmmd to 10 max sessions / nsrmmd?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2015 09:00

I never used that I never seen any impact (I did test it).  I guess environments may vary, but I don't see issues.  If you ddboost devices, you should not see any issue, especially with higher DDOS releases.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 24th, 2015 15:00

ryan_johnson wrote:

I have seen DD160 and DD620 streams maxed out when networker clone job uses managed file replication at the same time backups are running.  I believe each clone job uses 6 data domain streams.

This depends on NW version, but if we assume "recent" versions then cloning will - by default, kick up to 30 sessions. Obviously if your DD box supports 20 or less sessions you will get failure.  This can be controlled via /nsr/debug/nsrcloneconfig file.

73 Posts

June 24th, 2015 15:00

I haven't seen a difference in dedup ratio depending on number of streams.  I have seen DD160 and DD620 streams maxed out when networker clone job uses managed file replication at the same time backups are running.  I believe each clone job uses 6 data domain streams.

73 Posts

June 25th, 2015 07:00

Good to know.  Is /nsr/debug/nsrcloneconfig a storage node or server setting?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 26th, 2015 13:00

I believe on server (I use it only in small envs where I use only server and smaller DD units).

No Events found!