Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2017 05:00

vCenter Appliance and EMC Networker in VADP Proxy

Dear All,

Hope you can help with the challenge I'm facing here.

My customer is running vCenter 5.1 and ESXi 5.1.

He has Networker 8.2.4.1 with VADP Proxy.

We are tasked to upgrade vCenter and ESXi hosts.

But we have chosen to build a new vCenter based on 6.0 U2. This vCenter will have a different hostname and IP Address.

We are proposing vCenter Virtual Appliance as VMware is encouraging to go for Virtual Appliance

Since VADP Proxy is registered with existing vCenter, I would like to know

1. what changes needs to be made on VADP for it to know vCenter version and name is changed?

2. What changes need to be made on EMC Networker?

3. Do we have to install Networker on vCenter Appliance?

4. Do we have to Configure a VADP proxy host and Hypervisor resource Automatically/Manually?

5. can we backup vCenter Appliance using VADP?

Appreciate if someone could support

96 Posts

June 1st, 2017 12:00

Hello.

1. what changes needs to be made on VADP for it to know vCenter version and name is changed?

You can still use the same VADP. Create a new hypervisor resource, then add your new vcenter in "application information", value VADP_HOST= .  Another way... delete VADP proxy and create a new one.

2. What changes need to be made on EMC Networker?

You will need to create a new hypervisor resource, and point VADP proxy to new vcenter (see question 1)

3. Do we have to install Networker on vCenter Appliance?

Not needed.

4. Do we have to Configure a VADP proxy host and Hypervisor resource Automatically/Manually?

In this case, I would create manually the hypervisor, and then update application information for the existent proxy,

5. can we backup vCenter Appliance using VADP?

Yes, but I think it's pretty useless. It is faster keep a clone in vSphere of your vcenter server, so you can power it on in case of your production vCenter server fails. Another faster way... redeploy a new vcenter server... it takes no more than 1 hour.

Hope it helps

No Events found!