Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

March 14th, 2018 01:00

Add new N3048 to current switch stack setting

I have a question about the N3048 switch stack.
I have seen many questions to solve my questions. But I do not have any questions to solve my problem. I need your help.

There are switches that other administrators have configured. I am now using two N3048 switches. The two switches are currently connected to the stack.

Here I try to configure the stack by adding a new N3048 switch.
I want to know how to connect the stack cable.

Is the picture below correct?
And do you have to set up CLI settings separately?

very urgent.. Please help me.stack.JPG

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 14th, 2018 10:00

That wiring diagram is correct. Once the switches are stacked, they will all be managed through the master units CLI. There is no need to connect to the different units in order to configure them. 

Be sure the new member is on the same firmware and is powered down while cabling. 

Here are some stacking resources.

http://dell.to/2EIAH1V
http://bit.ly/2FUqLmz
Page 239: http://dell.to/2GrqtkX

8 Posts

March 14th, 2018 17:00

Dear, Daniel Co

Thank you very much for your reply.
I am really glad that my drawing is right.
I have two questions.

1. It seems to be difficult to update firmware version using internal network. Why should the firmware versions of the switches match? If the firmware version is different, is not the stack possible?

2. Is there anything I need to set up after I plug in the stack cable and turn on all the devices in order? (ex. CLI command)

8 Posts

March 14th, 2018 17:00

There is one more question.
Is not there a problem with the service of the switch you are using, other than the one you add when you update firmware or downgrade?
ex. Port settings, LACP, etc.

add contents...
If you look at the N3048 manual
P.240 "How is the Firmware Updated on the Stack?" In the description of the item, "boot autocopy-sw" explains that the firmware will automatically adjust when using this command.

I think that the firmware version of the two installed devices and the switch to be installed this time will be different.

Assuming a firmware update is in progress
Power off the two switches that are currently in use, remove the stack cable,
Do I need to update the firmware for each switch?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 15th, 2018 06:00

If a firmware mismatch is detected, the newly added switch does not fully join the stack and holds until it is upgraded to the same firmware version as the master switch. The switch does offer the autocopy command as an option, rather than updating manually. If the new switch has older firmware than the in production switches, then the autocopy process will work fine. If the new switch has newer firmware, then a downgrade would need to be done, and should be done cautiously as it does not assure proper configuration migration.

http://dell.to/2FXK26u

If possible, this may be a good time to get all of the switches updated to the latest version.

http://dell.to/2HAIa0B

While adding the new switch to the stack there should be no interruption to the rest of the stack and its operability. Once the new member has joined the stack, its interfaces will then show up and be configurable. Besides port configurations, there isn't really anything else within the configuration that needs to be done.

8 Posts

March 15th, 2018 17:00

It seems to be the last question.
I thank you for your answers to my question.
I go to switch setting on 03/20.
You treated me like a friend, thank you so much.

I will update firmware for all switches.
- Two existing switches (currently in use, connected by stack cable).
- Newly added switches

Question.
1. Is it possible to update the three switches with the latest firmware, connect the switch to the stack cable, and then power on the master device?

2. I wonder if the setting of switches 1 and 2 that were used previously will be initialized when the firmware is update. (Currently 1 and 2 are 10G for switch 2 and are bonded to the server).

If the settings are reset when the firmware is update, I intend to downgrade the firmware using the boot autocopy-sw command on the new switch.

And how do I update the switch's firmware by connecting USB to the USB port next to the OOB port? Is it possible to download the firmware (zip file) on the homepage and proceed?

I saw an update-related PDF file in a Zip file. How many pages do I need to start?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 16th, 2018 06:00

Not entirely sure about your first question, can you clarify a bit more? Here are the methods that the master unit is selected.

1 There is a switch which is currently the stack master.

2 The switch has the higher MAC address is elected as master.

3 A unit is selected as standby by the administrator, and a fail over action is manually initiated or occurs due to stack master failure.

With the above methods in mind, you can use this behavior to set the desired switch to be master.

As long switch 1 or 2 stays as the master switch, the configuration will be intact. The configuration is not reset when updating the firmware.

What version of firmware is the new switch at? What version are you planning on downgrading to? It is not typically recommended to downgrade firmware, but instead upgrade to newer firmware which has improvements.

I suggest reading through the PDF on how to update the firmware. It includes step by step instructions on how to apply the firmware. A USB drive can be used to flash the firmware.

Page 525: http://dell.to/2GrqtkX

8 Posts

March 30th, 2018 22:00

I have a question.
I did not update two stacked existing switches.
In this state, the equipment was turned off and a new switch was connected.
I connected the old switch and the new switch with the stack cable. Then the stack is connected normally and it is usable.

I do not understand.
You told me. "If the firmware of the switches to be stacked are different, the stack is not connected."
But now the stack is normal and there is no problem using it.

If the firmware does not match between the switches connected by the stack cable, what problems do you encounter when using the stack?

This is a very urgent situation.
I have to report this question to my boss.
Please answer fast ..

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2018 06:00

Sorry, there is not a list of things that may happen when the firmware updates are not the same. Each update has modification and improvement to the code. Depending on the differencese between the images, you may not notice anything at first, but you will run into issues once that section of code is accessed that is different. The impact could be anything from a small hiccup in the flow traffic, to a system hang or reboot.  

1 Message

February 13th, 2020 05:00

Hello,

I have two questions,

1) Did you have to power off the switches prior to connecting the third switch?

2) Did you configure the ports on the third switch before connecting it to the stack?

Thanks

No Events found!