Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

3 Posts

July 13th, 2018 08:00

Connecting Switch Stacks

I have a customer that has out grown their stack of 3 N2024P's.  I want to implement a server stack of 2 spare N2048's.  Looking on some guidance on connecting the switch stacks, whether to use the available 10GbE SFP+ on each stack, or implementing LAG/LACP using copper.  With LAG would you use links off each of the N2024P's or just go from switch 1 to switch 1 in each stack? Using SonicWALL TZ 500 HA for routing/firewall, have 3 esxi hosts running local storage.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 16th, 2018 06:00

Typically you will see stacks being connected together using link aggregation spread across the stack. Here is a KB article that guides you through configuring link aggregation.

https://dell.to/2Jq8HhW

3 Posts

July 16th, 2018 11:00

Is that due to cost vs tech reasons?  Would that consist of only one lag group across the setup? Below is a diagram of what I imagine it would look like.  I LAG group with each switch giving 1 or more port(s) each to the LAG.  Please let me know if this is accurate, thanks.Switch stack LAG.PNG

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 16th, 2018 11:00

When stacking, you are providing the environment with switch redundancy. However, if there is only one connection from stack to stack, there is now a single point of failure. Distributing a LAG amongst the stack members will allow for link redundancy in the event a link fails or a switch goes down.

What you have outlined in your image will work fine. Are you certain you need a 6 port LAG for this connection? You can always start with a 2 port lag and then add more interfaces to the LAG as needed.  

3 Posts

July 16th, 2018 12:00

Static or Dynamic LAG?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 17th, 2018 05:00

Typically I see the most success with using dynamic.

No Events found!