Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2015 09:00

Dell PowerConnect 62XX Storm Control Configuration

Hi,

I've been having some troubles with broadcast storms on my company's VOIP network (whichs is isolated from the rest physically). I wanna know how I should configure storm-control on my Dell PCT6224 and 6248 so that the switches can block any overflow of broadcast packets.

But I have a doubt about the value I should use. Here is what the switch help command say: "Enter the storm-control threshold as percent of port speed. Percent of port speed is converted to PacketsPerSecond based on 512 byte average packet size and applied to HW..."

I wonder if my calculations are right:

The ports in which the config will be applied are all in 1Gbps. So if I want to put a 1% threshold the switch will convert to (1000000000*0.001) / (512*8) ~= 2441.4 pps.
 My network runs on a 0.39 pps when its operating correctly so it wont interfere on the normal broadcast traffic.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 16th, 2015 13:00

That looks good to me, I get the same result. You should be able to enter the value as a percent though.

console(config-if-1/g1)#storm-control broadcast level 1

Is the VOIP traffic on the same VLAN as the rest of the network?

November 17th, 2015 03:00

Thank you very much for the answer!

Actually, the VOIP traffic runs on a decoupled network (yeah thats right - we've got two different networks for data and voice).

Hope it solve the problem.

No Events found!