Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

129 Posts

August 1st, 2018 01:00

PC62xx - image1 & image2 incosistent version within stack

hi guys

I have a bit, to me it seems, bizarre situation where.. well, better show you, here:

datacentre>show bootvar

Image Descriptions 
 image1 : default image 
 image2 :  
 Images currently available on Flash 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
 unit      image1      image2     current-active        next-active 
-------------------------------------------------------------------- 
    1    3.3.17.1    3.3.15.1             image2             image2 
    2    3.3.15.1    3.3.17.1             image1             image1 
    3    3.3.15.1    3.3.17.1             image1             image1 

What ramification such an "discrepancy" might bring? And how to fix it?

Many thanks, L.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 1st, 2018 06:00

These two images are used as a form of redundancy. If one image becomes corrupt, or there is an issue with the firmware on that image, then you can boot to the other image. It is normal to have two different revision numbers listed here. What you want to pay attention to is which image is active, and what revision is installed on that image.

Currently, all active images are on 3.3.15.1. If you were to change the active image, then they would all be using 3.3.17.1

129 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 06:00

hi,

I realize now that my question was not clear. What I see as "inconsistency" is the fact that not all three stack member have the same imgage1 and not the same image2.

If I wanted to exec: boot image1 - then how do I know which image/version will boot?

And why is it that stack does not keep it consistent and how can it fix this, so image1 is the same one for all members and the same would be for image2 ?

And....can I just remove a stack member mechanically? (as no need for re/configuration)

many thanks, L.

212 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 09:00

You use the right two columns, "current-active" and "next-active" to see which version is currently running, and which will run after a reboot.  To change to the other one, you use the command "boot system imagex".  Then reboot.  The stack members don't really need to be in sync with which image has which version.  It could be that a member was added some time after the stack was built.  When you install a new firmware it will go onto the inactive image. 

Hope this helps

212 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 11:00

Also, for removing a member mechanically, the answer is yes.  I would recommend keeping the stack master and removing one of the other members.  As long as you have the stack in a loop/ring configuration, the remaining members will continue to be in the stack.  If you have the daisy-chain configuration, then you should only remove the last member (at the end of the daisy-chain), and is not the master.  It is best to move all of the cables from that member to other members and verify the neighbor devices stay in communication with the stacked switch (adding ports to vlans if necessary, etc.), before removing power to the switch being removed.  Once everything is verified, then remove the switch from the stack. 

No Events found!