Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2015 09:00

Physical address change

In the last week, the physical address on two different N2048 stacks has changed. I have received a notice in my network monitor but have not seen any other ramifications. What would cause the MAC change and how can I see the separate MACs on each of the stack members?

Thanks!

Sandi

• 

8.5K Posts

August 10th, 2015 12:00

Hi Sandi,

Is it the MAC addresses of certain ports or VLANs that are showing the change? Was the switch rebooted or any other changes made? Is the switch firmware up to date, there were some mac address changes in the latest version. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=N8K2G&fileId=3461947867&osCode=NAA&productCode=networking-n2000-series&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

20 Posts

August 12th, 2015 07:00

Josh,

The MAC change was reported by SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor. One switch stack, not updated, had been rebooted but the master did not change. I had thought the MAC went with the master. The second stack had been updated, which I will not be doing to any other N2048 as it caused more harm than good. However, the MAC change came a couple of weeks after the update and it was not then rebooted. The MAC change seems benign, I just want to understand.

Thanks!

• 

8.5K Posts

August 12th, 2015 10:00

Aside from the physical ports, the MAC addresses for VLANs and port channels are assigned by the switch, so it may have switch the assigned MAC

No Events found!