Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2011 13:00

PowerConnect 2848 - Restore configuration on startup ?

Hi,

I have just bought a PowerConnect 2848 and noticed in the manual that it has two configurations - Startup and running.

If I set the IP of the switch, when I reboot it the IP reverts back to its default, which suggests that I need to copy the running configuration to the startup configuration in order to commit the change.

On the web interface there is no way to "upload" the running configuration via HTTP to my computer so that I can "download" it to the switch as the startup configuration. (It doesn't ask me which configuration I wish to "upload", it just starts saving "startup-config.ber".)

The time and date settings are also not persistent over reboots either. Is there any way to make these save ?

By using telnet over the LAN interface, I found there was a copy command but I could not copy the running configuration to the startup configuration.

Oddly I could change the username / password and that would persist over reboots.

Thanks,

-Andrew.

Edit:

I forgot to list the versions:

Software Version - 1.0.0.39

Boot Version - 1.0.0.12

Hardware Version - 00.00.02

March 10th, 2011 07:00

Hi Andrew,

I've tested different ways of configuration now and also tried to get the running config downloaded from the switch but without success. The running configuration seems not accessible and seems to be directly synchronized with the startup config file. Every change typing on the console will be found in the startup config file. 

Officially, command line interface on PC28xx switches is used for technical support to export the logs. Official way to install and configure the switches is by setting the switch into managed mode and enter default IP 192.168.2.1 with username admin and no password.

Regards,

Rodger

3 Posts

March 10th, 2011 09:00

Hi Rodger,

Just to clarify, are you saying that the only way to configure the startup config file is via the console (Is this just the console via the serial port, or does this include via Telnet ?) and that although the web interface is meant to allow configuration, it cannot save to the startup config file and hence can only be used for testing configuration changes and viewing settings ?

If this is the case then the web interface is very much faulty - Is there going to be an update or is the switch too old to get updates ?

Thanks,

-Andrew.

3 Posts

March 19th, 2011 19:00

It seems to work fine now, no idea why it didn't the first time.

You were right about the web interface, it does save to the startup-config file automatically.

Thanks,

-Andrew.

No Events found!