Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2013 15:00

PowerConnect 7048s and 8132F.

Gents,

I will try to describe what is being attempted and you guys tell me where I am wrong if you do not mind.

The layout is simple:

Top Layer

PowerConnect 7048 Server Switch 1
PowerConnect 7048 Server Switch 2   => These two are the server layer (top)

These are NOT stacked.
Five VLANs created on them as follows:

VLAN ID / Ports in use

100 - Port 1 to 14
101 - Port 15 to 30
102 - Port 31 to 38
103 - Port 39 to 46
1210 - Port 47 and 48 

Middle Layer (Core)

PowerConnect 8132F Core Switch 1
PowerConnect 8132F Core Switch 2

These are connected to each other using ports 23/24. Idea is to create a LAG between the two. Something along these lines:

enable
configure
interface range tengigabitethernet 1/0/23-24
channel-group 1 mode active 

The top two server switches are connected to the two cores through the 10GB Module on the back. One port on Server Switch 1 goes to Core Switch 1 port 1 and second port on Server Switch 1 goes to Core Switch 2 port 1. One port on Server Switch 2 goes to Core Switch 1 port 1 and second port on Server Switch 2 goes to Core Switch 2 port 1.
The idea is to have an active and a passive link to the core switches. This is one of the things I am not 100% sure on how to do it.
Do I just create a trunk between the server switches and the core ones? What is confusing to me is the active/passive thing. Someone threw together a diagram and this is what is says, an active/passive thing.

Bottom Layer

Here we have 7 x PowerConnect 7048s stacked. Anything that connects here is VLAN 101. Nothing else.
Three of the switches on the stack do have 10GB modules on the back so we have three connections going to Core Switch 1 and three going to Core Switch 2. Same idea, the diagram shows Active/Passive connections. I assume here I also want to create a trunk and in this case allowing either all VLANs on VLAN 101. Correct?
These three connections go to ports 4/6/8 on Core Switch 1 and 4/6/8 on Core Switch 2.
I was thinking about doing something like this on the core switches:

enable
configure
interface range te1/0/4, te1/0/6, te1/0/8
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan all

On the stack (7 x 7048s) what do I do exactly? Same as above but using the ports on the modules? How do I specify them on the command line?

Routing is all done on some firewall for now so no Layer 3 used at all. That means the firewalls will simply have ports on all VLANs that need routing.

Crazy eh?

Thanks for ANY help guys. Appreciated!

CR

802 Posts

June 20th, 2013 16:00

Let’s start by addressing your statements about active/passive.

The switches will have Spanning Tree on by default.  It is a protocol that is used to stop any redundant cabled paths from causing a loop and causing your switches to be overworked.  Essentially it will block the less prioritized paths (passive) until the designated (active) path goes down for some reason.

The word active in the channel-group 1 mode active command is referencing to put the LAG (Link Aggregation) into a dynamic LACP protocol state.  Instead of a static (manual) configuration.

Link Aggregation is where you have multiple physical cable acting as 1 virtual connection.  This tells spanning tree to treat all the cable connections as one connection and not block the redundant cables to the same device.  

You will set up a trunk any time that you need multiple VLANs to move across a connection.  Where it is a single cable or a LAG.

Do you have a network diagram available that we may look at?

4 Posts

June 20th, 2013 21:00

Thanks for the explanation. Most of the concepts I was indeed aware like Spanning Tree Protocol, LAG (dynamic or static), etc.

Attached you can see the diagram. The server switches at the top currently have 5 VLANs created on them and are connected to the core as per the diagram.

What I am after is understanding how to setup the connections between all the switches. I am very confident I got it but would not mind seeing what you guys come up with!

Cheers and again thanks for the valuable help on these forums.

CR

802 Posts

June 21st, 2013 08:00

I see that you have the core switch on the right with all the passive connections.  In order to actually get that accomplished you will need to go in and create priorities on the different connections.  Here is some information on how the port costs behave.

1,  Spanning-Tree Port Costs

Switches all use an algorithm to determine how close they are to the root bridge. This metric is called the path cost. The lower the cost, the closer the switch is to the root. The idea is to transverse the tree using the lowest costs. What happens if two devices have identical path costs in the node of a tree? The device with the lowest MAC address value is used for the tiebreaker.

2.  Port Priority

Spanning-Tree Port Priority influences the choice of port when a bridge has two ports connected in a loop. A lower numerical value gives that port a higher priority. This determines, between two equal cost paths, which one will be selected to be in forwarding mode, putting the other link in blocking mode.

By calculating and assigning the port cost of the switch ports, you can ensure that the shortest (lowest cost) distance to the root switch is used to transmit data. You can assign lower path cost values to higher bandwidth ports to have them be a priority path to the root bridge

Or you may want to keep the default settings and allow the 2 core switches to load balance the traffic. Although this may take a little tweaking also to get it balanced.  The default settings take the lowest mac address and port number. This will make better use of the hardware CPUs on the devices.  Then if you were to lose a cable or switch then you would have the redundant paths to the other core switch.

4 Posts

September 20th, 2013 20:00

Thanks for the help so far but I still do not understand the syntax required to get the big stack with 7 switches 'talking' to the core ones.

What about the syntax/commands I mentioned? Do they make sense?

Thanks again!

CR

No Events found!