Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2018 19:00

Powerconnect 2824 VLAN Setup with Pfsense router

I have a Dell Powerconnect 2824 with a Pfsense router connected to it. Newbie to Vlans. I'm trying to create a vlan so that I can put my IOt devices on the VLAN separate from the rest of my network. I have been trying to get just 1 extra computer on the Vlan 50 that I made and I can't seem to make that happen. I have Pfsense setup with the Vlan lan tag 50 and a subnet of 192.168.50.0 mask 255.255.255.0.

I have been reading countless posts on here and Netgate to get this setup right but count seem to figure it out. To test I have a computer on port 2 of the switch set to PVID 50 of the Vlan I made. My Pfsense router is on port 23 so I have that port tagged. The rest of the ports are still in the default vlan 1. I don't get a IP address on the test computer, just a 169 IP address which I think it means it is not working. 

End goal is to use my new unifi AP that tags traffic to put all the IOT traffic on a separate vlan along with home assistant rasberry PI on that same Vlan that controls many of the IOT.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 16th, 2018 11:00

The tagging and untagged settings on the switch and AP need to match. If the PVID is 1 and the tagged VLAN is 50 on the switch, then the AP needs to be untagged for VLAN 1 and tagged for VLAN 50.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 16th, 2018 05:00

It sounds like the port settings are correct. Have you tried setting a static IP address and pinging the router VLAN 50 IP address?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 16th, 2018 07:00

Glad to hear you got things working. You can only have one untagged VLAN, which is the PVID, all additional VLANs will need to be tagged on the port.

5 Posts

So for my Unifi AP that will do both Vlan 50 tagged traffic and non tagged traffic, how would I set the PVID and tag/untag setting on the port? 

The remaining ports will stay on the default vlan 1 of the switch. 

5 Posts

Ok I got it to work but it was not what I thought. The Unauthorized Users has to be set to disabled or it won't let you set a port as untagged. It would give an error that untagged port g2 can not be added to unauthenticated vlan 50. 

Now my question is about how to tag my port for the Unifi AP that can do tagged and untagged traffic plus can do multiple SSIDs. I plan to have an SSID for IOT on the VLAN 50 and another SSID on this Unifi AP not tagged for the rest of the traffic. Do I leave the port blank, tagged, or untagged on the switch to have it send the traffic from the 2 wireless networks to the right Vlan?

5 Posts

October 16th, 2018 10:00

Yep seen the video already. My question is should the switch port for the Unifi AP that will be sending tagged and untagged data to the port be tagged or untagged on the switch or blank to direct the various traffic correctly? What PVID should it be in 1 or Vlan 50? Sorry, I'm a newbie to Vlans.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 16th, 2018 10:00

here is a video that guides you through the tagging process.

https://bit.ly/2iDHttR

5 Posts

October 16th, 2018 12:00

Thanks Daniel for the help and quick replies. We will call it good and go from there.

No Events found!