Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

June 15th, 2017 12:00

Stacking N4032 Switches

I currently have two N40302 switches in a stack & acting as a VLAN master with layer3 routing.

I have an additional (3rd) N4032 switch in production and have also purchased a new (4th) N4032.

I wish to have all 4 switches participate in the same stack in a ring topology.  (I know firmware needs to be identical)

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1) Once all switches are stacked, will VLANS and Routing be maintained if any one of the switches fail?

2) Will the existing config. in the third switch be removed if it is added to the stack?

212 Posts

June 15th, 2017 13:00

Hello,

There is a guide specifically for stacking the N4000 switches that can be found here: http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/12/shared-content~data-sheets~en/documents~dell-networking-n4000-series-stacking-guide.pdf   Page 23 discusses adding new members to the stack.

You may want to check this out too, but I think I can probably answer your questions. Once all switches are stacked, you will still need to configure the ports for the newly added members.  You will need to assign VLANs to the ports, as well as any trunks, routing, etc. on those new ports.  Once the stack is configured, it should be considered one giant switch, and that is how it will be perceived on the network to all other devices.  Furthermore, the ports on the newly added switches will all change port numbering.  For example, if a port is port Te1/0/2 before it is stacked, then it will become something like Te3/0/2.  So you should expect to lose some or all of the configuration.  To be safe, just back it up and reconfigure as needed. 

Hope this helps!

-B

May 4th, 2020 00:00

Hi!

I have 2 switches N4032 in production without stacking. Now, I want to stack them and I have the following questions:

1- its only 2 switches of 10G ports. Is it recommended to stack it with 2 or 4 ports? I will use the 10G ethernet ports

2- In case of 2 or 4 ports connected as stacks interfaces using only 2 switches, is it the same ring topology or dasiy chain? In other words, connecting 2 or 4 ports, Do already have redundancy between them?

3- If master fails, I understand that slave will became master and the management ip will be accessible, is that correct? What happens if ex master switch becames available? It will became master or slave?

Thanks in advance.

• 

8.7K Posts

May 4th, 2020 10:00

Hi,

Usually the stack is a ring, so yes there is redundancy built in with 2 ports. For 2 or 4 it depends on how much bandwidth you need for your environment. Page 198 https://dell.to/2W29jUn stack master switches on failure or if a manually change is done.

No Events found!