danut.vasc
2 Bronze

Unable to set switch port to Dynamic VLAN assignment

Jump to solution

Hey everyone,

I have an old switch Dell PowerConnect 2848 and I am trying to configure it with RADIUS authentication. Everything works fine, but I am unable to set the ports to Dynamically assign VLANS based on the RADIUS response. Whenever I try to set the option from Switch -> Network Security -> Port Based Authentication to Enable "Dynamic VLAN Assignment" I get the following message:

192.168.x.x says
Dynamic VLAN Assignment is allowed only in Forced Authorized mode.
Please change to Forced Authorized mode first and apply your changes.

However, the aforementioned option is not available anywhere on the switch, and I can't seem to enable the Dynamic VLAN Assignment. I've try to set the port to a trunk, with no security and a lot of various option but still unable to set the DVA.

Does anyone know what I am missing or how to enable this option?

P.S.: I have the latest firmware on the switch and I am willing to replace it next year (hopefully) with X1052P model. But up until then, I need this option for port authentication security. 

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
danut.vasc
2 Bronze

Re: Unable to set switch port to Dynamic VLAN assignment

Jump to solution

Found out a solution for the initial problem.

The port has to be configured first with Host Authentication: Multi Session
Then the port need to be change in authorized mode (if previously configured as auto), and then you can make it auto + dynamic VLAN enabled.

The problem I am facing right now is that the switch won't set the ports in VLAN 1 nor Untagged. Any other port number is working. I have to find a workaround for this to, because that is the management VLAN, as these switches don't support IP addressing on other VLANs.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am not seeing that option either, it may have been removed in a firmware update. Does the guest vlan setting work for unauthorized users? Page 93 https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_networking/esuprt_net_fxd...

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
danut.vasc
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Found out a solution for the initial problem.

The port has to be configured first with Host Authentication: Multi Session
Then the port need to be change in authorized mode (if previously configured as auto), and then you can make it auto + dynamic VLAN enabled.

The problem I am facing right now is that the switch won't set the ports in VLAN 1 nor Untagged. Any other port number is working. I have to find a workaround for this to, because that is the management VLAN, as these switches don't support IP addressing on other VLANs.

0 Kudos