Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 7th, 2016 07:00

X1026 switch VLAN problem

I have a few computers connected to the switch that are all able to talk to one another when they are not connected to a VLAN port. Once I connect a couple of the computers to VLAN ports they cannot talk to the switch or each other anymore. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 8th, 2016 07:00

That is very convenient that you had an extra switch to test with. The factory default reset is a good step to take. I would also try flashing the firmware.

http://dell.to/2bWqvRH

If the behavior continues, I agree that it probably needs to be replaced.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 7th, 2016 13:00

By default all ports are untagged members of VLAN 1. Are the ports that cannot communicate being placed in a different VLAN? Can you provide some additional information on how the ports are configured?

Thanks

3 Posts

September 8th, 2016 05:00

The default with VLAN 1 works and the computers are all able to talk to each other, but when I set up a new VLAN they were unable to communicate over that new VLAN. They were both placed in ports that belonged to the same new VLAN, not the default VLAN 1. They were just configured with the default, access, admit all, and ingress filtering settings all checked off. But I also tried setting up a VLAN with general, admit all, and no ingress filtering and the computers could still not communicate. 

Since posting this I tried the other switch that I bought, I bought two x1026 switches. And setting up a new VLAN, the exact same way, worked right off the bat. I think I just need to return the first, unless you have some other kind of suggestion. But I will try a factory reset and see what happens, if it still does not work i will just have to exchange it.

Thank you

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 8th, 2016 08:00

Excellent news! Glad to hear things are now working.

3 Posts

September 8th, 2016 08:00

I did the reset and updated the firmware and now when I make a new VLAN the computers are able to talk to one another. 

Thank you for your help and time.

No Events found!