Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2009 21:00

1515 Wireless-N Adapter Problems

Hello,

I just purchased a Dell Studio 13 XPS laptop from Best Buy last week.  I am extremely pleased with it with one exception.  The wireless drops out intermittently.  It will access a wireless network (ones at school with WPA2-enterprise Encryption, an open network at a coffee shop, and my home WPA2-personal encryption) and work well for a time and then suddenly it will drop the network and either a) refuse to even view it, or b) say that I have a low wireless signal.  After a while I will be able to connect again.

I have controlled for problems with the networks (I think) by using my wife’s hp laptop to access them during the down time.

I have installed all windows updates and even installed the latest wireless driver that Dell had on its website for my product.

It is very important that this issue is corrected.  If I am unable to correct this, I will have to take the computer back and exchange it for something that has stable wireless connectivity.  That is something I don’t want to do because it is otherwise a wonderful product.

I am running Windows Vista 64 home premium and the wireless adapter is called the 1515 Wireless-N adapter.

November 11th, 2009 15:00

:emotion-1: helloo, there, i have tested this on x64 only not x86 but i am sure it will work for both plataform

9 Posts

November 11th, 2009 15:00

sorry , i mistake.

1 Message

January 7th, 2010 00:00

Hi,

I have a Studio XPS 1340 that I bought in October.  I have been experiencing this wireless network problem almost exactly as described by everyone else.  The maddening thing is that it is inconsistant.  Sometimes I could connect to my access point (just 15m away) for almost a full day and sometimes it lasted less than a minute.  When I viewed available access points, I could even see my neighbour's AP and he lives about 150m from me, but not my own.

Anyway, I tried the Atheros driver (refered to on this thread http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19260956.aspx ) but it made the problem worse.  It could be because the driver referred to in that post has since been updated.  I then tried the one mentioned by Mr. Morrell above and it now works!  Well mostly anyway.  I still have the odd dropped connection, about once or twice a day, but it's not nearly as bad and it reconnects almost immediately.

Come On Dell!  Get this issue sorted out!  It's just wrong that I should have to spend time fixing a problem like this on a brand new laptop, especially when the fix is a driver that is written for an HP.

HRmax.

Studio XPS 1340 running Windows 7, 64bit.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2010 11:00

I wanted to see if you have a solution to the 1510 N card not connecting? I have a Dell Studio XPS 13" Win 7 64 bit with the 1510-N wireless card. At 5' away from my router I have a weak signal. I have talked to Dell and they replaced the card. I still can't connect.

1 Message

March 18th, 2010 01:00

Good Job Ronal Morrell.  I created a dell community account just to say thank you.  I've been trying to figure this one out for months.  This fix worked a like charm on my Studio XPS 1340 running Windows 7 64-bit.  The dropped wireless connections had me on the verge of buying a new laptop.  You've save me quite a bit of money.  I think Dell should pay you for this one.  Thanks again :emotion-1:

27 Posts

March 18th, 2010 11:00

Actually what cleared up ALL my many 1340 problems was that I was forced to do a clean install of Windows 7 64bit. Now everything works as it should, knock on wood.

:emotion-21: enjoin

:emotion-1: hahahah thanks Oninja.

but they wont pay me for it :emotion-21: enjoin.

No Events found!