Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2003 06:00

3Com 3CN3AC1556 LAN Modem

I have a latitude C600 and installed windows 2000 and installed new bios and all drivers.  I have a PCI Simple Communications Controller Error.  The modem driver works, but I can not get it to connect to the internet.  Had it working on a different install just won't work on this one.

1 Message

February 18th, 2003 22:00

Hi,

I am having the same problem.  I also installed win2k on my C600 Latitude and am trying now to install the 3CN3ACx556 modem/lan card and I always get the same error when trying to use the modem:  modem not connected.  Do I need to install a new BIOS for the C600 since I switched to win2k and where can I find this?

Thanks,

kwelch

1 Message

December 29th, 2004 10:00

Yes, I am having the same problem.  I've been trying to download the driver from various sources to no avail, please help.

Jimmynjojo

623 Posts

January 1st, 2005 07:00

First, I trust everyone is certain you're all talking about the same part.  Just to clarify, the mini-PCI devices used could be modem-only or modem/nic combo.  (I'm not aware if there was ever a nic-only mpci.)  Next, there were two versions of modem/nic combo mpci cards: 3Com and Actiontec.  Since the subject line here refers to the 3Com 556, I'll guess everyone is sure they're working with the 3Com combo card.

The drivers are on the Dell site--look for "3Com 10/100 & V.90 LAN Mini-PCI".  The Win2K version of this file is "Z68GFM04.EXE".  Download this, run it from Win2K, and it should extract its files, usually to c:\dell\drivers\68gfm\drivers, where you should find two subfolders: nic and modem.  If in Device Manager you have the yellow question mark by "PCI Communications Device", open [Properties] for the device, [Driver] tab, [Update Driver] button.  Direct the wizard to the modem\Win2K folder extracted above and it should install the driver.  (Ditto for the nic driver, except point to the nic\Win2K folder.)

Once your modem driver is installed, click the [Query modem] button under the modem diagnostics (either from Device Manager or Control Panel).  If you get responses to most of the AT commands, your modem is working.  If you don't, maybe you have a defective modem.

2 Posts

October 29th, 2005 10:00

Hello!

I have the same problem with my 3Com combo modem. Saying the driver doesn't match my modem when I want to update it, but the label on modem is the 3CN3AC1556 (something is fisky, because with the driver installed, modem works but makes my laptop run with CPU at 100%. sigh...).

So, my modem could be defect? Where could I find replacement with reasonable prices? any suggestions and solutions welcome.

ciao from sealia
No Events found!