Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2004 12:00

Can't Access Desktop Files from the Laptop

I have an Insprion 8500 with the truemobile card.  I've upgraded both the laptop and desktop to WPA security.  They both have the correct passwords.

I can access the internet wirelessly from the laptop.  The desktop can access files on the laptop that I've marked for sharing.  The laptop can ping the desktop and see the desktop when I do a net view command.  The laptop cannot access any of the shared files on the desktop.  It gets a security violation.  If I go to Microsoft Networks, the laptop gets security violations when it tries to access its own shared folders.  I'm an adminstrator on the laptop. 

Both machines are running Windows XP Pro.

I've uninstalled the firewall software on the desktop.  I had this working after I upgraded the router, both computers and the truemobile card for WPA security, but for some reason, the laptop can't access anything on the network anymore.

How can I get the laptop to access the files and the printer attached to the desktop?  I have file and printer sharing turned on.

2 Intern

• 

137 Posts

March 2nd, 2004 20:00

Can you ping both machines. Check to make sure XP's firewall is disabled, check to see if the router is issuing  enough IP addresses

14 Posts

March 2nd, 2004 23:00

Each machine can ping the other.  The XP firewall is turned off on both machines.

16 Posts

March 3rd, 2004 12:00

Have you tried looking at some of the network tutorials posted on either one of the network FAQs?
No Events found!