Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 31st, 2016 11:00

Can't connect via Wi-Fi with SSID broadcast disabled

I like to set my router up so that my SSID is not broadcast as I think it is a logical step to take for increased security. I have not been able to do that since I started using my new Inspiron 5558 laptop. I have tried this several times and each time I disable SSID broadcast I am not able to connect to Wi-Fi on this laptop. Other remote computers in my household and my smartphone connect without a problem, but nothing I have tried allows my new Dell laptop to connect via Wi-Fi, with the exception of enabling the SSID broadcast. 

16 Posts

February 4th, 2016 18:00

I have a Actiontec MI424WR Rev. E router. I installed the new driver and the Intel PROset utility and unfortunately nothing changed. I went to settings to investigate some of the other solutions you proposed and I stumbled upon something that appears to have solved my problem. What I found at SETTINGS/Network & Internet/Change adapter options/Wi-Fi/View status of my connection/Wireless properties/ on the connection tab there was an unchecked box with the words "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)". I checked that box and since then I have been able to connect to my network wirelessly with SSID broadcast disabled. I will now call this solved and if any new problems crop up. start a new post. Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Ed J.

1.8K Posts

February 1st, 2016 13:00

Hi,

It sounds to me like there is an issue with the wireless profile on your system for that router connection.  (Wireless profiles keep the data, connection requirements, etc for your connection, similar to cookies for internet sites).  

You don't mention if you're running Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 on that system.  I'm assuming Win10 since you said it's new.  Here is a link on how to delete wireless profiles in Windows 10.  Try that, and then reboot the system and see if you can then go in and key in the input information for the SSID.  (keep the broadcast off so that the system "understands" that it's not broadcasting).   

Here are a few more support articles you may find useful:

Resolving Connection Issues on Your Wi-Fi Network for Windows 10

Wireless Networking for the Home for Windows 10

One last thing, for now, is your router.  Have you updated it since you purchased the Inspiron 5558 with Windows 10?  I don't think this is necessarily an issue with the firmware on the router but if you haven't updated the firmware then it's definitely worth checking.

To better help me troubleshoot this issue please click on my Dell Todd username and send me a private message with the Dell Service Tag of your Inspiron 5558.  Please keep all troubleshooting discussions here in this public thread so that others can find what we attempt to do to resolve the problem.

Todd

16 Posts

February 1st, 2016 17:00

You assumed correctly as to my OS, It is Windows 10 Home. I was able to delete the wireless profile on my Inspiron 5558 and after disabling SSID broadcast and checking for a firmware update on my router (It was up to date) I rebooted and tried to connect to Hidden Network using my WPA2 SSID and password. The message I got was "Can't connect to this network". I went on my desktop computer and enabled SSID broadcast. I was then able to reconnect to my SSID on the Inspiron 5558. This leaves me right back where I started. I can live with this situation, because from what I can see most people don't disable SSID broadcast, but I would prefer that my SSID not be seen by my neighborhood and beyond.  

1.8K Posts

February 2nd, 2016 10:00

Hi,

Okay, so your system is "seeing" the hidden wireless network and listing it as available but you're unable to connect to it until you "unhide" it, is that correct?

If this is correct there are two separate things I'd like to test if you don't mind:

1. Try taking the WPA2 security settings off the router but leaving the SSID hidden.  See if that changes any of the symptoms you're seeing.   (It may be a combo of the hidden SSID and security settings that are causing this)   Make sure you turn WPA2 back on after the test.   ** If this works it implies that it isn't necessarily that the SSID isn't broadcasting that is the problem. The error message your seeing about "unable to connect" implies that as well if it's "seeing" the SSID but not connecting but that message could also just be a generic Windows way of saying it doesn't see the network. 

2. Try creating a new user account in Windows 10.  See if that user account is able to locate and connect to the hidden SSID like you would expect.   It could be an issue with the user account being corrupted and causing conflicts.  

I keep thinking this is more to do with the Windows profiles and user account than the drivers themselves.  Lots of people turn off broadcasting their SSIDs so there has to be something we're missing here.

Todd

16 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 14:00

Ok, this is how it went. I changed the router setting to WEP and created a new user account in Windows 10, I left the SSID broadcast enabled and I was able to connect wirelessly to my network using both my account and the new user account. I then disabled SSID broadcast after which I attempted to connect wirelessly using the new user account and then my own user account and both connections came up "Can't connect to this network".

I changed the router back to WPA2 and left SSID broadcast disabled. I checked 3 devices; my LG L39C tracfone, my wife's Kindle Fire tablet and an old Acer netbook I had laying around. On each of these devices I disabled the WiFi, removed any references to my SSID that I could find and rebooted the device. On each of these devices I was able to successfully connect to my network via WiFi. This leaves only one device that is unable to connect to my WiFi network: My new Inspiron 5558 laptop.

There is one thing I'd like to add to this discussion, just in case it could have some affect on the issue. When I was shopping for this laptop I was encouraged to make sure that it had the latest wireless protocol (protocol probably isn't the right word but it seemed to fit). Anyway as you probably know this laptop has that protocol, namely 802.11ac and I couldn't help but wonder if this had anything to do with my problem.

One more thing, I don't think my laptop is finding my network when the SSID broadcast is disabled because when I sign on the the hidden network, the icon only has 2 bars tit up and I believe that if it was my network it was finding there would be at least three of the four bars lit up. 

1.8K Posts

February 4th, 2016 09:00

Hello,

What router (make & model) are you connecting to?    And since you have the Intel 3160 card in your system which driver is currently installed?  (Here is a link to Version: 18.32.0, which I believe is the latest they released, about 2 weeks ago).  

Try the newer driver, if you haven't, and see if that helps.  Also install the Intel PROSet utility and use that to try to control your wireless card, it may be better able to connect to the SSID. 

Does your router support both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bandwidths?  If so, try the 5 GHz and see if that helps.

If those don't work then try changing the bands the card is connecting to to 802.11n bandwidth and see if that helps.   (See this thread for some screenshots on how to change to 802.11n in image #2 of one customers response).  

Let's see if any of those steps help.

Todd

No Events found!