Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2006 03:00

Can't install Intel ProSet software on PE1650

At one point I updated my NIC driver and Proset software with an update directly from Intel, as opposed to downloading the Dell supplied NIC drivers/software. I was having some network issues and I did that as part of my troubleshooting.

Now I'd like to put everything back to "Dell specs" by installing the NIC driver & Proset software from the Dell support site. As the first step, I uninstalled the existing Proset via the Add/Remove Software control panel. Something did not work right and the Proset software does not seem to be fully uninstalled.

I downloaded the latest software from the Dell site (Intel PRO Gigabit Adapters, v.8.4.21.0, A00-8.2) and have successfully installed the NIC driver. However when I run the PROSet.msi installer, I get a message stating "A newer version of this software is already installed on this computer". There are no visible signs of Proset being installed though. I assume something is lingering in the registry perhaps. Does anyone know of a way to manually uninstall Proset. Maybe there is a technote that illustrates exactly what files and registry keys are associated with Proset?

I can't seem to find any detailed info on Intel's website and, of course, they don't want to help because I have an OEM NIC.

12.7K Posts

December 18th, 2006 04:00

Here is the last free version of the best registry cleaner ever coded, be sure you select version 1.2
the others are not free and will be pre-expired when you install.

I think this version has no installer, just unzip to a folder of choice

http://www.pctip.ch/downloads/dl/23227.asp   takes you to a German site, be patient it will download.

the coder had a sense of humor and the red x at the top to close the program does not work, use the close box at the bottom.  Do not use the check for update function as it will take you to the website of the new owners, the newer versions do not contain any of the original code, Junk!
Works pretty well right out of the box.
No Events found!