Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2005 01:00

Can't log in to computer

I have a diminsion 4550 running Windows XP, SP1.

I can't get past log in screen.  It seems to be in a loop.  When I select a user to log into, it says "loading your personal settings", then "logging off", then  "saving your settings", then back to the log in screen.

It was fine until 2 days ago.  For some time now, I have gotten error messages when logging in.  The problem was a Security Manager from Comcast.  I called their support line and they suggested deleting the software because they had been having problems with it.  When I tried to remove the software from the Control Panel>Add / remove software, I got a run time error 429.  The Comcast rep. suggested I delete the Security Manager from Windows Explorer, which I did by deleting a folder called Comcast under Program Files.  Then I was able to delete the software from Control Panel > Add / remove software.  The Comcast rep then suggested I run Disk Cleanup and defrag.  I ran the Disk Cleanup, then tried to reboot before the defrag.  This is when the problem began. 

Any ideas?

28K Posts

March 25th, 2005 14:00

Have you tried using System Restore to restore your computer to a working configuration it had prior to when the problem started?

Steve

3 Posts

March 25th, 2005 17:00

Yes, I tried that but it did not help.  When I did this, it did not seem to do anything.

28K Posts

March 25th, 2005 18:00

Can you boot to Safe Mode and do a System Restore from there?

Steve

3 Posts

March 29th, 2005 12:00

Thanks.  I tried that also and nothing happened.  It still came back to the login screen.

I tried putting in the restore disk that came with the computer and tried the repair.  This took me to a dos prompt.  If I try to access any folders outside of Windows, I get an access denied error.  If I try to execute the restore manually from system32\restore, I get a back command error.

I am considering taking the hard drive out of the machine and asking someone to try to connect it to computer that is working and hope we can access it enough to backup the files I need, then reformat it.

No Events found!