Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 20th, 2008 17:00

Cannot connect to a WPA-PSK network with 1395 WLAN card

I just bought a Vostro 1500 machine with a Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card included. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 ver 4 router (with latest firmware) based wireless network configured with WPA-PSK security. My problem is that I am not able to connect with my Vostro laptop to this network (the connection icon in the system tray is forever marked with a red cross).

A few things to note:
- the same Vostro laptop connects to the network if the router is configured to operate with security disabled and even with WEP security enabled. It only fails to work if WPA-PSK security is enabled.
- I have another Dell D520 laptop with an Intel wireless card and that machine is able to connect to the same WPA-PSK enabled network without any problems.

The Vostro laptop is running XP Home (with latest Windows Updates) while my other laptop runs XP Pro. I have tried using both windows zero config and the Dell Wireless utility to configure the laptop.

any suggestions?

thanks

Message Edited by subrav on 01-20-2008 02:15 PM

28K Posts

January 20th, 2008 19:00

I'm surprised that such an ancient router actually supports WPA encryption, but if you say it does on the other computers, I guess I have to believe you.  Still, it is ancient technology and getting it to work with the newest network adapters may be problematic.  I would first check to see that you are 100%, postively, beyond any doubt whatsoever, cross-your heart and hope to die, swear on a religious book of your choice, sure that you are entering the correct WPA key on the computer.

Steve

14.4K Posts

January 20th, 2008 23:00

which utility are you using to run the adapter the mfr's or windows wirless zero.?

2 Posts

January 21st, 2008 18:00

To volcano: my router is indeed pretty ancient but I figure if something works, dont change it :-) my d520 laptop (with an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card) works on it with WPA enabled. And yes, I made sure I did enter the same keys on everything to Davet: I tried both the Dell wireless lan utility and windows zero config utility to set up the new laptop. Both do not work! The funny thing is that WEP security works alright. Maybe there is some parameter on the card for WPA that needs to be setup?

14.4K Posts

January 21st, 2008 21:00

or possibly the window fix for WPA

There also should be a setting for setting up the card to handle the protection type as well as the key...

6 Posts

November 12th, 2010 20:00

I'm posting this solution across the many threads dealing with the WPA-PSK issue and the Dell 1395 Wireless WLAN Mini-card not working with it. I had the same issue as everyone has experienced. Using the Dell provided 1395 WLAN drivers (Version A17, 4.170.25.12), the WLAN Mini-card will connect perfectly via WEP or non-encryption settings with the router. However, once you go to WPA-PSK (the preferred setting), it doesn't work. It's that simple, it just is incompatible with WPA-PSK, period.

After a TON of searching, I found a thread somewhere that indicated that the Dell 1395 card is really the Broadcom 4310 card, so I did a search for the Broadcome 4310 and came across a driver provided at Hewlett-packard's site. The filename is "sp36684.exe", type that into google and you can download it straight from HP.

I downloaded it, extracted it to a directory, and then:

1. Go to device manager & right-click on the Dell Wireless 1395 card and choose "Update Driver"

2. Click "No, Not this time", then "Install from specific location"

3. Choose "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install"

4. Click "Have Disk"

5. Browse for the directory you extracted the "sp36684.exe" file to

6. Choose the "Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN" card

7. Click "Yes" on the warning to let it install

Voila! It now supports WPA-PSK (as well as giving the option for WPA2-PSK, although my router only supports WPA-PSK so that's all I could test). You won't be able to use the Dell Wireless Utility to configure the card anymore, you'll have to use Windows to configure the wireless network settings. A small price to pay for the added security of WPA-PSK.

Hope this helps, go figure, the solution was found at the HP site... Post a comment back if this works for you so that the Dell tech's can see that it's a common problem (and solution) and maybe provide an updated (or in this case, an older version of the driver, because you WILL be using an older driver version) driver to get the WPA-PSK to work for that card.

1 Message

May 25th, 2011 13:00

The HP sp36684.exe driver worked like a charm for me. Thanks so much for posting this info. I have a Vostro 1700 with 1395 WLAN card and couldn't connect with WPA-PSK and TKIP. Since that is the only WPA choice for a BEFW11S4 router, without this HP driver I was stuck. +1 for spup345!

January 19th, 2019 14:00

Not working for W10x64 1-17-2019.  Your link broke but this works for your file:ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36501-37000/sp36684.html

1 Message

July 1st, 2019 12:00

I have windows 10 and after placing all the drivers it wont let the wifi connect to any network whatsoever. I suppose this is because I have windows 10? Would be great if Dell could address this
No Events found!