Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2010 08:00

Cant setup an Alfa external usb adapter with Vista

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 running Vista with service pack2.  I use the computer to connect to a wifi system on a mobile home site in France where the signal is weak.  I have bought an Alfa AWUS036H USB adapter since this is highly recommended to improve reception in difficult areas.  It is also possible to connect an external antenna which I cant do with the inbuilt Intel adapter card.

I have tried a number of different ways of installing the adapter and its associated utility and whilst it appears in 'Device Manager' and says its working and that I have the most up to date driver it will not connect to my home router.  I have disabled the built in Intel adapter but still it wont connect.  I suspect there is a conflict somewhere but I do not have the expertise to know how to establish that.

I know the Alfa USB adapter works because I have successfully installed it on my Dell Mini 10 running XP so maybe it is Vista which is causing the problem.  I have tried the Alfa website but it does not offer much help.

Has anyone experienced any thing like this?  I would greatly appreciate some help.

David

November 25th, 2010 22:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 running Vista with service pack2.  I use the computer to connect to a wifi system on a mobile home site in France where the signal is weak.  I have bought an Alfa AWUS036H USB adapter since this is highly recommended to improve reception in difficult areas.  It is also possible to connect an external antenna which I cant do with the inbuilt Intel adapter card.

I have tried a number of different ways of installing the adapter and its associated utility and whilst it appears in 'Device Manager' and says its working and that I have the most up to date driver it will not connect to my home router.  I have disabled the built in Intel adapter but still it wont connect.  I suspect there is a conflict somewhere but I do not have the expertise to know how to establish that.

I know the Alfa USB adapter works because I have successfully installed it on my Dell Mini 10 running XP so maybe it is Vista which is causing the problem.  I have tried the Alfa website but it does not offer much help.

Has anyone experienced any thing like this?  I would greatly appreciate some help.

David

I got more deep understanding about this part, It is exactly what I need, Thanks for your explanation!
No Events found!