Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

December 9th, 2005 01:00

Code 10 error when installing Belkin F5D7050 USB Network Adapter

I'm trying to install a Belkin F5D7050 USB Network Adapter on my new-to-me Latitude C640, but I am getting a Code 10 error.  I have updated the BIOS and tried reinstalling the software several times to no avail.  The adapter works on my older HP laptop.  Belkin tech support says I have to call Dell.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am quite frustrated.  Thanks in advance.

241 Posts

December 12th, 2005 22:00

Try this..

Remove all usb devices and the Belkin Adapter in Device Manager.

Remove the Belkin Adapter.

Restart PC.

When booted, install Belkin Software but DO NOT INSERT USB ADAPTER UNTIL PROMPTED!!!!

I hope this helps you out.

LT

241 Posts

December 14th, 2005 01:00

Yes, that is exactly what I meant...delete ALL USB devices to include the Controller and Hub.  They will rebuild when windows starts.  Sometimes these devices get "confused" or "Corrupted" and rebuilding helps.

So after the reboot, go to device manager and you should see the Controller and Hubs back.

Now add your software, (Note:  If you have any AV, Spyware, or other "protection software" you may wish to disable it during the software install.)

Install the "network adapter" when prompted and all should be "golden!" (Hopefully)

5 Posts

December 14th, 2005 01:00

Thanks for the reply.  I did this several times to no avail.

But what do you mean by remove all USB devices?  The only the only one that I tried to install is the network adapter.  Are you also referring to the USB controller and hub?

5 Posts

December 14th, 2005 23:00

LtLeary,

No dice.  I uninstalled the controller and hub and they were recognized and reinstalled on the next boot up.  But when I installed the adapter, I got the same error (Code 10 -- "this device cannot start").  Tried it three time without success.

I would appreciate any other suggestions that you have.  The adapter works on my HP laptop so it certainly appears to be a Dell issue.

Message Edited by NYCGator on 12-14-2005 07:25 PM

241 Posts

December 18th, 2005 21:00

Hmmm,

Ya got me going on this one.  A little search on google reports that some are having success on XP SP2 by disabling the Wireless Zero Config Service and then re-installing the drivers.

I hope this works for you.

LT

5 Posts

December 19th, 2005 13:00

LtLeary, where do I find Wireless Zero Config Service to turn it off?  Not familiar with that.

And thanks again for your help!!

241 Posts

December 20th, 2005 00:00

Sorry about that

Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services...look of the Wireless Zero Configuration Service:  Right Click on the serviced and select properties....it is on "Automatic" by default...Change it to disable....Reboot and try to install your software.

Best of Luck!

LT

1 Message

March 21st, 2006 03:00

How did yu make out, what fixed this, If I may ask

I jsut ran across this exact problem today helping out a neighbor.  Did disabling the service do the trick?

Thanks Much!

April 20th, 2006 17:00

I to had recently had the same problem, loaded drivers for (f5d7050) and had the error: display name or service already in use. Removed all USB drivers in device manager-no help, tried to remove any thing that said belkin in the registry-no help either. on a whim i reinstalled windows XP pro sp2 and every thing started to work and is working fine now.Dell dimension 4600. But it still will not recognize a different HD in the primary master position. Even if that drive work in a diff. Machine.

Michael :)

No Events found!